AUDI GUYS STEP IN

STEVE-O

Looking at a 1998 a4 quattro 5 speed v6 with 140k on it. Any pros? cons? Common problems on these cars I should look for when checking it out?

Any input appriciated as I dont know a whole lot about these cars and know even less about the 2.8l vs the 1.8t.

Run away. HG problems like they're going out of style. It'll start like a minor oil leak and BAM! 2500.00 to fix. But that's only like half of them. Look at tie rods, balljoints, and timing belt as well.

Ya I will def be checking out the suspension for sure being like 10000 parts to those things balljoints and shit everywhere lol does not appear right now to be leaking anything but I will look more at that once it is up in the air. thanks

Valve cover gaskets leak, front control arms/tie rods go bad occationally, cv boots, make sure tb/wp has been done on time. Thats about it besides regular maint.

Valve covers not leaking :) No raal way to check if t/b/wp have been done cause I have NO way to find the history on the car in this suituation but I will be checking coolant level/ condition for sure. And the linkage between the trottle butterflies is still good not cracked or anything.

Again thanks for the advise/ input hopefully once it is in the air all will appear as well as it does right now

In for pics.

I will post pics as soon as it is 100 percent mine :)

One con would be that its ~1 year away from the facelifted model.

I know I wish to god it was the new style but I can not complain as it still does not look bad by any standard and for the price I am getting it for I REALLY cant be to picky :)

only thing I dont like is the black on almost a beige interior. I wish It was all black but again cant be to picky for the price

cough.....mines still for sale......cough

trust me if I could pick yours up for anywhere near the cost of this one it would already be mine.

only leaks are from the rear inner axle seals and a very little bit from the front underside of the right valve cover. All ball joints are tight as hell and all window motors/ regulators and great. Should have it anytime now. Side note the trunk does have rust but a new trunk from the scrap yard already painted is only 50bucks so no complaints :)

Edited by nurkvinny

If it doesn't have anything proving timing belts has been changed twice you need to do it a 2nd time. Every 60-70K ALWAYS.

BTW this might not be any better on gas then your Blazer since it is quattro, but just a warning. Good news is you can't do anything to the motor aftermarket wise for cheap keeping it a beater is 100%

Edited by nurkvinny

A cheap unmaintained Audi will rob you blind if you don't have any proof. So don't take someone's word about waterpumps and belts and stuff you can't see. I would like to know how much and who if you wanted to PM me the info since I'm not looking to buy it.

"little problems" now will always turn into major repairs on audis. I'm sure any of the audi owners here would agree with that.

And you're much better off with a 30v facelift v6, than the crappy 12v

The 30v came 98+ models 12V 95-97/early 98 model year.

And yes I can attest to the little problems turning into big ones if let go too long. But *knock on wood* I have had a toruble free audi!