FT-86 has finally been confirmed!

Farkas

Why Toyota went with the boxer engine? Can they just use the 3sgte? Don't care for the Subaru boxer engine, not sure on the look. And for the Toyota performance vehicle track record for the last decade, I wouldnt hold my breath.

Well, I'm not too crazy about it either, but from a weight distribution standpoint it's a good idea. The flat four sits much lower and further back than the conventional 4 cylinder, which equates to better handling and weight distribution. Toyota has the potential to make a hell of a car, given their history, but you're right about the past decade. Their focus has been practicality and simplicity, but with the recent on-look and demand for lightweight RWD sports cars, they're trying to get back into the game. Like I said, I see and agree with what you're saying, but I can also see what they are trying to do.

Edited by Farkas

Why Toyota went with the boxer engine? Can they just use the 3sgte? Don't care for the Subaru boxer engine, not sure on the look. And for the Toyota performance vehicle track record for the last decade, I wouldnt hold my breath.

The MR-2 Spyder was an amazing handling and braking car. The Top Gear review said the car was too hard core compared to the Miata. Put the Yamaha 1.8L in it like I did and it is a very very nimble and fun car.

Weight distribution as mentioned above. But also, the boxer has a much lower height. This lets the car have a lower hood while at the same time meeting pedestrian impact standards which state there has to be X distance (7cm I think) between the hood and the top of the engine.

I like the boxer design, personally. Plugs are difficult, but no more than (and possibly easier than) doing plugs on an LS1 f-body. But they have a low CG, are naturally balanced, and can be reasonably torquey in N/A trim.

People just have to remember that the FT isn't supposed to run with the Mustangs and Corvettes. It's not a replacement for the Supra. The point of this car is to make a fun, nimble, relatively low-cost RWD sportscar. 0-60 will likely be in the 6s, and 1/4mi will be 14s at best. Think more Miata style performance.

I bet the STi goes away when this is released.

The FT will occupy a very different niche. I doubt serious buyers will cross-shop a 180hp $20K RWD coupe with a 300hp $35K AWD sedan.

That said, car manufacturers have made enough inconceivable decisions in the past that I put nothing past them.

From what I'm reading about this car, it sounds like the Toyota version will either be called a Scion now or Scion is getting their own version of it too. I've also read the Toyota version will have a N/A 200 HP 2.0 H4 and the Subaru will get a turbo and 260 HP in the base model and over 300 in the STI version with a 2.5 H4 basically out of the WRX STI. I've also read the STI version will get AWD.

Some of the stories conflict with each other, so I'm not quite sure what to believe yet for sure. Guess we'll find out for sure in a month or so.

From what I'm reading about this car, it sounds like the Toyota version will either be called a Scion now or Scion is getting their own version of it too. I've also read the Toyota version will have a N/A 200 HP 2.0 H4 and the Subaru will get a turbo and 260 HP in the base model and over 300 in the STI version with a 2.5 H4 basically out of the WRX STI. I've also read the STI version will get AWD.

Some of the stories conflict with each other, so I'm not quite sure what to believe yet for sure. Guess we'll find out for sure in a month or so.

No AWD without changing the chassis. The engine is too far back to use Subaru's AWD transmissions.

As for the higher output Subaru versions, we'll have to wait and see (as I bet Subaru is doing). I bet they're going to let Toyota, the larger company, take the risk and see how the FT does first.

Here's something I heard recently concerning the Scion thing. They were to get another version, not necessarily the FT86, tho. Course, I've only heard that one place, so...

I've heard Scion in North America, Toyota everywhere else. You can always go home to Puerto Rico and pick up a Toyota version, then all you have to do is make a raft out of used soda bottles and bring it home. :D

I've heard Scion in North America, Toyota everywhere else. You can always go home to Puerto Rico and pick up a Toyota version, then all you have to do is make a raft out of used soda bottles and bring it home. :D

Why would I do that when there are perfectly good Cubans nearby for me to strap around the sides. I figure 20 should do it since I'll probably lose around 5 to sharks.