Flat tappet cams

Sam1647545489

How often have you heard of people having cams getting wiped out due to to heavy of a spring. They recommend that you remove the inner spring on dual springs during break in of the cam. I have talked to a few people who have not done this and had no issues. Anyone with any experience of this.

Ran flat tappet in all kind of things, including dad's 67 Vette 327 we put together last year. Never swapped springs during break-in, but we have always been "break 'em in how you're gonna run 'em" types of guys. :)

PS, if you wipe your cam, it isn't my fault.

:)

Sam I'm running a flat tapper cam in my car and didn't remove the inner spring or anything just run proper break in and you'll be fine... Wiping cam lobes is mostly a thing of the past cuz of the alloys and less hillbillys use them now.. Just remember to use the break in jizz stuff

Sam I'm running a flat tapper cam in my car and didn't remove the inner spring or anything just run proper break in and you'll be fine... Wiping cam lobes is mostly a thing of the past cuz of the alloys and less hillbillys use them now.. Just remember to use the break in jizz stuff

Got the jizz for breaking in the cam. I know as soon as I get it started to get the RPM to 2500-3000k and keep varying them without letting it fall below 2k for a good 20 mins or so. Then change the oil and filter like any other motor after break in. Also what oil are you running? I have read of using rotella 15w-40 diesel oil? Seems alil weird but if true I am in heaven cause I gots tons of that stuff

Got the jizz for breaking in the cam. I know as soon as I get it started to get the RPM to 2500-3000k and keep varying them without letting it fall below 2k for a good 20 mins or so. Then change the oil and filter like any other motor after break in. Also what oil are you running? I have read of using rotella 15w-40 diesel oil? Seems alil weird but if true I am in heaven cause I gots tons of that stuff

Rotella has extremely low amounts of zinc compared to regular conventional it is no longer "safe" or recommended for flat tappet cams. Brad Penn, Joe gibbs, or lubriplate GPO is what I would recommend. Lubriplate has the highest zinc content out of all three and is what I would run personally.