Defense Ammo

Otis Nice

Agreed with above, but I'd add Black Hills in there. They have a pretty good performance to price ratio on SD ammo in various calibers. I believe they do some .38 special as well. I use their 9mm EXP for CCW. Like all ammo these days it's a little more $$ than it used to be but it's still a good deal for a box of 50.

For 9mm (or any caliber that it's available), my primary choices are Federal HST (these ARE NOT Hydrashocks), Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot. In that order. HST's are nasty.

For a J-frame, I'd only pick Short Barrel Gold Dots. They're designed for shorter barrels, obviously.

For a J-frame, I'd only pick Short Barrel Gold Dots. They're designed for shorter barrels, obviously.

Are they +P?

I only carry +P silvertips in my J frame. I can hit all 5 shots in center mass at 25 yards (the only pistol range I go to is 25 yards)

Heavier may not be better. Remember, it's my wife that's handling the .38. She shot well with the ball rounds.

I was thinking Hornady CD for my 9 and unsure what to get for her .38 so these suggestions are all helping.

A lot of people like the regular load SWC (semi wad cutter) loads for the .38, supposedly they are one of the most accurate rounds, but don't have great expansion

A lot of people like the regular load SWC (semi wad cutter) loads for the .38, supposedly they are one of the most accurate rounds, but don't have great expansion

Article I'm reading talked about wadcutter rounds not having much stopping power.

Also, read this in there:

I will now tell you the best 9mm Luger load for self-defense: it is the Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint.

Anyone used them?

Are they +P?

I only carry +P silvertips in my J frame. I can hit all 5 shots in center mass at 25 yards (the only pistol range I go to is 25 yards)

Yup. I guess I shouldn't say that Gold Dots are all I'd use. I'd also use SWCs. I've never shot Silvertips, so I can't comment on them. I've shot them out of my .22-250 and was not impressed. Obviously, I can't compare the rifle rounds to the pistol rounds since the only thing they have in common is the name, however, I've just not had any interest in trying any since. And they're expensive as shit.

Article I'm reading talked about wadcutter rounds not having much stopping power.

Also, read this in there:

Anyone used them?

"Stopping power" is so much bullshit. You should carry what you are comfortable with and can more accurately shoot with in a jam. If she doesn't want much recoil, a SWC or a SWC HP standard pressure in her .38 is most likely best for her.

..Corbon 115 +P...

Anyone used them?

Yes.

They are pretty peppy but I like to practice with my actual carry ammo and was afraid I'd cause unnecessary wear on my tiny plastic gun with repeated use (not to mention the added cost). That's why I dropped back to the Black Hills EXPs. They are still pretty stout (around 1200 FPS / 400 ft lbs ME) but are loaded a tad shy of the +P designation. Also, I could get a box of 50 EXPs for about the price of 20 Corbons at the time. Looks like they are around $30/50 currently versus $25/20 for the CorBon, so it's actually a bit better than that.

The EXPs actually group a tad better for me than the CorBon (out of this particular gun anyway).

Sounds like we have a lot of testing to do for sure. I was thinking this would be a 3-5 horse race but man, great reviews Peeps. Thanks a ton.

Her bodyguard is +P so we have a wide variety. Also, I will def have her practice with what she'll be caring. "Practice with what you're going to perform with" my uncle says.