Learn me some Carb-potatoes

Sam1647545489

This boat motor has been a new learning experience for me with flat tappet cams and carbs. Right now it has the quadrajet, aka the quadrajunk carb, which worked fine for the stock motor. I wanna go with alot better flowing carb. Been thinking about a 600cfm http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-4776SK1/10002/-1 for the new motor. Basically I need a complete break down of a carb i.e., the boat doesnt have a electric choke nor a manual, so is there a vacuum style one? Also whats the piece that goes into the intake manifold. It would be on the passenger side of the motor. Also can I just strap this carb on the motor and be good to go? Or am I gonna have to jet this and that to get it to work right? Should I keep the quadrajet on to break in the cam since its kinda already setup to go then switch? I honestly have never dealt with carbs so I want to learn.

Thanks jerks

You'll need an adapter to go from the Spread Bore flange on the Intake to the Square Bore Flange on the carb. Not a big deal, they're 20 bucks. Get the Electric Choke kit. Much easier to use than setting up a manual (especially in a boat), its two wires to activate. Power from the starter (switched source), and a ground to the intake. Jetting should be close out of the box, you'll need to set the float levels, and Idle mixture screws. I'm not sure how inspections go around here, but these are not Marine approved. Which on a carb basically means the vent tubes on top are not in a J-shape to vent fumes and fuel down into the motor as opposed to everywhere else. And If they check you'll need a Air Cleaner that doubles as a Flame Arrestor as well.

A good running Q-Jet can make tons of power.

If you end up needing a spread-to-square adapter, I have one I ported years ago with an additional spacer that's ported.

Post up or shoot me a PM with what's done to that motor. That will direct what carb to use.

.30 over 350. 462/477 262/268 flat tappet cam. I post the intake above. Vortec heads that have a clean up port job.

Ha, couldn't find a jets manifold. :)

You don't need anything more than this -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1806/10002/-1

Easy as Hell to tune, but chances are 10-to-1 you could remove from box, bolt on, and never have an issue.

I got the arrestor already and I am not really concerned on it being marine approved or not. Basically I am taking this motor as if I were putting into a car and trying to make the most power out of it. I will have marine approved parts on it, i.e. starter, alternator but the rest I am not to worried.

No, they actually do not "suck".

And for a non-carb guy (ie, OP), they are a flat head screwdriver and 5 minutes away from being adjusted.

Just like the Holley. Adjust the mixture screws on the metering blocks, maybe check the float levels and go. He more than likely won't have to pop the Bowls off either. The Jetting Holley installs from the factory is set up for the average built motor. Just like what is going in the boat.

Just like the Holley.

Disagreed. Both will work, but they are night and day.

To someone that has never set up a carb, and likely does not own all of the trial-and-error parts needed to get a Holley dialed in, there is no question the Carter / Edelbrock is more user friendly.

For his low-medium hp setup, it really doesn't matter though. Buy carb, bolt on, hit the lake.

Well if they are equal in strength then I am obviously gonna go with the cheaper of the two. Whats the benefit of the holley over the Edlebrock?

I'm too lazy to list it out, but here are the most obvious reasons.

http://www.stratadrome.com/bronco/holley_vs_edelbrock.htm

The 45 dollar difference in the two is worth it in my opinion.

Well if they are equal in strength then I am obviously gonna go with the cheaper of the two. Whats the benefit of the holley over the Edlebrock?

My opinion:

One is better once it is dialed in <-- Holley.

One is easier to tune for a novice <-- Edelbrock.

You can probably find some great links by Googling "holley vs edelbrock".

I've had a dozen of each, and seriously, you'll be fine either way.