Checking out a motor - compression test/leakdown help...

spankis

So I may be going to check out a used 318 to replace the one in my Dakota (270k+ miles). I've never pulled/replaced a motor myself, but I've helped buddies several times, and they would likely be helping me.

The motor I'm considering has a claimed 110k miles on it, and is out of a just wrecked 98 Ram. It's cheap enough that I'm not horribly concerned about it, but I would like to get an idea of its condition before I take it home. I was considering doing a compression test, though this is tougher with the motor out of the truck obviously. Perhaps a leakdown test is a better option?

This would be my first attempt at a project this in-depth, so I'm trying to learn, and I figured simple pushrod V8 with lots of room to work in the trucks engine bay would be a good first attempt. Any advice on how best to go over the motor is appreciated, as well as what other diagnosis would be suggested. I'm really just trying to avoid getting burnt on a motor thats been beaten on, but the way my own 318 has held up gives me a little faith in them....Thanks in advance.

Compression test would be next to impossible out of the truck, but hell for $200 a general inspection for damage and even if there is something wrong with it you'd just be out a few bucks and time (can scrap it for half that). Just the risks you take with situations like that.

Alright so I went to check this thing out this morning. It looks decent overall, the story is that it was his grandpas truck, his grandpa passed, he drove it for 6 months and then a caliper failed and he rearended somebody. He says he never changed the plugs or did any tune-up just a coolant flush when he got it and oil changes, but says it always ran great. I pulled the plugs and all look fine except the passenger side rear cylinder, it came out looking melted on both the side and center electrode. The center electrode is basically gone, and the side electrode is about 2/3 it's original size. Here are some shitty cell phone pictures I took while I had it out.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/0421111100a.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/0421111100.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/0421111059.jpg

From what I'm reading such a plug suggested "predetonation" generally. What could cause that? Should I not worry about it or run and run fast? I have some slight reason to trust the kid in saying that it ran fine, because I saw the truck driving around for several weeks before I saw it wrecked in his driveway. I'm looking for relatively QUICK input, as if I want it I probably need to commit by early tonight, since I'm leaving for Cleveland early tomorrow morning.

Well, upon further reading I'm thinking I'll likely steer clear of this thing. A melted cylinder 8 plug generally suggests cracked head. It's somewhat common for them to crack there, right between the valves. How mine hasn't had the issue is somewhat amazing, actually.

Any other input is appreciated.

Right now I may be planning on just replacing the long overdue timing chain on my current motor and driving it until she dies.

A very large percentage of Magnum heads are cracked.

That's what I've been reading. I'm surprised my current 318 doesn't have an issue, or if it does, it doesn't present itself that way. I think it probably needs the intake gasket fix done, but the plugs generally always look clean. I'll put the money that would have gone into that motor into keeping my own alive I suppose.