Storing tires

schmuckingham

deflate, store covered in garbage bags ...preferably in your basement where they won t tget too cold....especially for race tires

Yup.

I haven't deflated mine. but, I have 10 tires, 4 are mounted, that I have had in the garage or basement for 2 years. I just looked at them because I'm moving them to a storage unit tomorrow. they are fine and I would put them on a car now if needed. They are 2, drag radial's, 4 R compounds, 2 spare rear tire's, and 2 tires for autoX. Pretty good variety to care for.

I have my set of original Z06 tires and wheels that have been stored in a garage and plastic over them for probably 7-8 years. They look like new still with 5000 miles on them but I'm not sure I would want to use them. The hot sun is probably a stored tires worst enemy.

FWIW, I work at a test facility run by NHTSA/DOT. Any tire with a DOT # dating it as older then 5 years is disposed of. We are not allowed to use them for anything, be it limit testing or driving out to a test facility to watch a test be performed (on property included).

Sun/heat

Salt/cold

Tire shine abuse

Are the top 3 thing that cause tires to dryrot or be unsafe... we don't sell them, but here at work the basement is never warmer than 65 or so, and is run a 10yr old tire from down there.. for most of us that will wear out tires in 3-4 years max its not an issue, keep them .out of direct sunlight, Ben is try to keep them out of your attic unless it stays abnormally cool