S4 accessory belt system noise

6 Speed S4

Okay so just last night my car has been making a weird squeak/bearing rotation noise at idle and i can slightly hear it while driving slow around 2k rpms. I took a video. Any ideas? PS pump? (fluid is full), tensioner or pulley?

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/379/66x.mp4

Thanks

Joe

I can't listen to it now, but last time my car made a noise like that it was one of the idler pulleys. I had it fixed at Auto Assets, wasn't expensive at all.

I'll do the work myself, may have to replace the t-stat anyways and put the APR snub mount on.

eh, not due for a while. Not till 180k its only at 154k, isnt the t-stat behind the cam gear on the drivers side?

no, it's behind the timing belt on the passenger side.

http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/81/1618/12886618/thermostat2-8-30v-2931.jpg

no, it's behind the timing belt on the passenger side.

http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/81/1618/12886618/thermostat2-8-30v-2931.jpg

Gotcha been a min. since I've done one. So im thinking either belt tensioner or idler pulley. Both are fairly cheap.

I just replaced the PS pumo on my 2000 Passat 2.8L V6. Make sure you use loctite on the three pulley bolts...ask me how I know. :( Almost had to do the job twice.

Got a rebuilt pump from RockAuto, went cheap...wish I didn't. At a standstill in parking lots I feel this thing slip and increase turning effort until I rev it or get the thing rolling. *sigh*...

Also, even though it's front and center on top of the "V" and in front of the engine, it was bolted to some sort of frame/brace that had to be unbolted as well. Not the easiest R&R job, but a testament to the over-engineering of VAG cars. :thumbup:

Yeaaa update on this... I replace the ps pump with a reman unit from an 04 A6 2.7t. And what do you know its doing the same thing, bubbles come out of the resivior everytime I shut the car off, the pump whines really bad, and i noticed a small leak from one of the lines - which must be letting air into the system causing the pump to whine. I took it to the dealer to have it looked at and they tell me it needs another pump. I told them about the small leak i found - they were like uhhh we didnt see any leaks. I was like well check again! Im not replacing the pump 2x!

So I went to dealer today, talked with the tech, we verified that the small line i found is cracked and is the suction hose which very well can be sucking in air into the resiviour causing the bubbles. Its a 40 dollar hose why not try it before another pump needs to go on.

• 2 weeks later...
So the story ends, they put the suction hose on and bled the system. They call me up and say its still noisey its got to be the pump. I told them screw it I'm picking up the vehicle. I started it, it was a bit noisey so i drove it to the gas station .3 miles away and turned the wheel back and forth and noise was gone. Drove right back and told them its quiet don't need a pump. They said you should still get a pump for it. I luaghed, its been almost 2 weeks and no issues. Pump is as quiet as a dead baby.