Kroger extends it gas discount plan to Shell Gas Stations.

SpaceGhost

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/28/shell-joins-krogers-gas-savings-program.html?sid=101

Thursday, April 28, 2011 *03:08 AM

BY TRACY TURNER

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Starting Sunday, Kroger customers in central Ohio will be able to save up to $1 per gallon of gas by scanning their loyalty cards at participating Shell Oil stations. That's in addition to Kroger and Kroger-owned Turkey Hill gas stations, as before. The maximum savings per gallon is twice the amount previously offered to Kroger customers.

Shoppers must use a Kroger Plus Card to purchase groceries and, starting Sunday, will earn 10 cents off per gallon of gas for each $100 spent, said Kroger spokeswoman Amy McCormick.

The offer is valid for up to 35 gallons per purchase and allows consumers to use the discounts immediately. That's a change from the previous program, which required one month's discounts to be used during the following month, she said. It's also an increase from the previous maximum of 50 cents per gallon consumers were able to earn.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid sheeple.

"Zomg spend $1000 on groceries save $10 on gas."

I'm not sure if you're just being rhetorical or idiotic, but you might be surprised at how much money you can save by participating in programs like these.

Not to threadjack, but I buy my groceries and gas from Giant Eagle, and I'm consistently pleased with my savings (e.g., my wife just recently filled up our 20+ gallon Montero for free - yes, $0.00).

You have to buy groceries, and you have to buy gas. Why would you ever continue buying them without getting something in return?

I'm not sure if you're just being rhetorical or idiotic, but you might be surprised at how much money you can save by participating in programs like these.

Not to threadjack, but I buy my groceries and gas from Giant Eagle, and I'm consistently pleased with my savings (e.g., my wife just recently filled up our 20+ gallon Montero for free - yes, $0.00).

You have to buy groceries, and you have to buy gas. Why would you ever continue buying them without getting something in return?

I eat out err night

Yeah Giant Eagle has provided us with free gas many times, can't beat that.

I eat out err night

Yeah i bit that saves you a ton of money. *rolleyes*

Looks like I might go back to shopping at krogers, there are no kroger gas stations close but two shell stations one right by work and one right by home. Good to know!

So Giant Eagle offers $.10 off a gallon for every $50 you spend. Double what Kroger is offering. So at $3.00 a gallon that's $1500 in groceries, do you let it build up before you get gas so you can get gas free? $1500 for us is 2 months at the earliest. And now at $4+ a gallon it's over $2000. Am I getting this right?

So Giant Eagle offers $.10 off a gallon for every $50 you spend. Double what Kroger is offering. So at $3.00 a gallon that's $1500 in groceries, do you let it build up before you get gas so you can get gas free? $1500 for us is 2 months at the earliest. And now at $4+ a gallon it's over $2000. Am I getting this right?

Yes, it's $0.10 off per gal for every $50. Yes, we let it accummulate, though I think you have to use it within a certain amount of time.

Also, if you get gas from Giant Eagle, you get 1% off of groceries for every 10 gallons of gas that you get, IIRC. So, it's reciprocating savings - getting gas saves you on groceries, and getting groceries saves you on gas.

I have a buddy who is a contractor and he tells me that he buys a shit ton of Home Improvement / Lowes gift cards at the grocery store then winds up getting his gas for free almost ever fill up. Pretty good idea really he is gonna spend the money so why not get some gas included.

Food for thought.

I have a buddy who is a contractor and he tells me that he buys a shit ton of Home Improvement / Lowes gift cards at the grocery store then winds up getting his gas for free almost ever fill up. Pretty good idea really he is gonna spend the money so why not get some gas included.

Food for thought.

we do the same thing for best buy, amazon or boarders giftcards at christmas or anytime we make a decent purchase

For those who shop at Giant Eagle. Go buy $100 worth of groceries from there. Buy the EXACT same stuff at Meijer. I bet Meijer will be $20 cheaper than Big Bird. Yes, you save .20 a gallon for your $100 purchase but that only equals $1.00 off per 5 gallons of gas. You'd need what, 40? gallons of gas to get back that $20 you saved from going to Meijer. My math is off (I'm sure of it.. since I've had more than a few beers tonight).

What I'm saying is Giant Eagle grocery prices are way higher than Meijers and for my family it's just not worth the hassle to got to giant eagle to save a few bucks. I'd save more money going to Meijer, paying lower grocery prices than to go to Big Bird to save a few dollars on gas. And I work from home so I put $20 in gas in my car last week and just put another $20 it this week and it'll last me until Friday or so.

im actually a manager of one of the kroger gas stations, and ill tell you right now, compared to the current points system, the only bennefit to the new one is, you can use it instantly.

Food for thought,

previous points system- if you fill up once a week like i do, with 50 cents off a gallon, you would basically save $2.00 a gallon after all 4 were used and you had to spend $750 the previous month to get it.

new system- to technically save the same amount over a month span as the previous system, you would have to spend $2000

and nighthawk, you cant save 1.50 a gallon at krogers, if you get more than 1000 points, it starts towards a second discount (i.e. if you have a 1100 points, you would get $1.00 off, then the next time you got gas you would get .10 off a gallon.

When I wrote $1.50 I was referring to the $.10 discount per gallon, on my car I usually put in 15 gallons a week = $1.50 savings. I was doing the minimum when in reality we spend about 150-200 a week in food. So if we spent $200, I would see a savings of $3 per tank. :)

PS I did read and quote the info in my first post where it says maximum $1 off a gallon of gas. Thanks for the vote of confidence for my intelligence and ability to grasp and retain knowledge.

When I wrote $1.50 I was referring to the $.10 discount per gallon, on my car I usually put in 15 gallons a week = $1.50 savings. I was doing the minimum when in reality we spend about 150-200 a week in food. So if we spent $200, I would see a savings of $3 per tank. :)

PS I did read and quote the info in my first post where it says maximum $1 off a gallon of gas. Thanks for the vote of confidence for my intelligence and ability to grasp and retain knowledge.

Ok. $3 per tank. If you went to Meijer and saved $20 on groceries, how is that better than $3 a tank per week?