Thinking of moving over to a FJ Cruiser

iwashmycar

Wanted to sound out here and see if there is any good advice to gain, as I have only purchased one new car (first 2 mustangs were only like $6K)

Been really looking into FJ's to have something that it more practical for moving down to SC, getting married (family), and overall getting out of driving around in the go-kart, though I know it might only be barely more practical (good enough) lol

Stuff to consider:

-I don't care if you think its ugly :lolguy:

-I know it gets horrible gas mileage

-I don't care if there is only a 20% chance of it ever actually seeing major offroad.

-I would make more with a private sale... Hoping to trade in. Cars are not investments lol

I've driven 3 of them so far. All have been '07s. I've looked into the usual problems which don't seem to be that bad. Was wondering if anyone might have any first hand experience with them?

It seems pretty tough to find a lot around here without a ton of mileage. Theoretically at the prices they are going for I really want to be at a max of $20K before all the taxes ect.. I really cannot find any other SUV that I like more..

2WDs are cheaper, but thats like buying a Porsche automatic. Ill probably regret it later anyway if I dont do 4WD. Whoknows what kind of people i'll meet in SC... id like to keep up haha.

Back in 07 the MSRP was somewhere just over 24K and now they are in the 30's. Don't know if its our lovely shit-for-value dollar, or what... an 07 with 14K miles locally is like 26,800.

At very best I can seem to get 18K for mine on trade... I just don't really want the hassle of listing it myself and dealing with everyone only to get 21-22. Maybe I should keep on shopping until the gas prices actually affect the market?.. seemed like good timing.

TIA for any insight, and if you know of any available i'm all ears.

Cliffs: FJ Cruiser :fuckyeah:

Wanted to sound out here and see if there is any good advice to gain, as I have only purchased one new car (first 2 mustangs were only like $6K)

Been really looking into FJ's to have something that it more practical for moving down to SC, getting married (family), and overall getting out of driving around in the go-kart, though I know it might only be barely more practical (good enough) lol

Stuff to consider:

-I don't care if you think its ugly :lolguy:

-I know it gets horrible gas mileage

-I don't care if there is only a 20% chance of it ever actually seeing major offroad.

-I would make more with a private sale... Hoping to trade in. Cars are not investments lol

I've driven 3 of them so far. All have been '07s. I've looked into the usual problems which don't seem to be that bad. Was wondering if anyone might have any first hand experience with them?

It seems pretty tough to find a lot around here without a ton of mileage. Theoretically at the prices they are going for I really want to be at a max of $20K before all the taxes ect.. I really cannot find any other SUV that I like more..

2WDs are cheaper, but thats like buying a Porsche automatic. Ill probably regret it later anyway if I dont do 4WD. Whoknows what kind of people i'll meet in SC... id like to keep up haha.

Back in 07 the MSRP was somewhere just over 24K and now they are in the 30's. Don't know if its our lovely shit-for-value dollar, or what... an 07 with 14K miles locally is like 26,800.

At very best I can seem to get 18K for mine on trade... I just don't really want the hassle of listing it myself and dealing with everyone only to get 21-22. Maybe I should keep on shopping until the gas prices actually affect the market?.. seemed like good timing.

TIA for any insight, and if you know of any available i'm all ears.

Cliffs: FJ Cruiser :fuckyeah:

FWIW,

Now is a great time to trade a MINI for a low MPG Truck.

If you're gong to do it, do it now in case gas plummets again. :fuckyeah:

Don't go 2WD, it's a waste of money and resale value. You'll get bit by the mod bug eventually. Atleast a small leveling kit will clear some good looking 285's under it. They're quite capable tow rigs and trail climbers. The aftermarket is pretty large aswell. Not Jeep insane, but it's quite a popular vehicle in the aftermarket world.

My dad has one and he loves it, uses it like it's meant to be too. Somewhat hard trail riding, towing a boat, 4x4ing down in the hunting grounds and hauling deer out, he took it to the sand dunes and has a trip planned for some rock crawling in Colorado later this year. The biggest problem is rear visibility, not that big a concern for me. if you get an 07' you have to do a little bit of wing to get the rear diff lock and the A-track system to work at the same time, but it's pretty easy. There is two at carmax on sawmill, one is under 19K and the other is under 23K.

i'm jealous....i want a blacked out FJ really bad :)

i used to think they were ugly until i watched them in some rally/off road event. i also enjoy watching youtube videos of people pulling out hummers with them.

good luck getting one!!!

eta: this was the documentary that changed my mind:

Edited by frenchy chan

^^^ so that's what's keeping the resale up lol.

those bastards keep Baja'ing them.

lol! they are tough trucks! i "shop" for off road mods for them occasionally even though i won't get one any time soon :)

....unless i win the lottery, then it's on :)

i love this kind of stuff:

http://www.torasport.com/store/images/P/ARB%20tent%20on%20FJ%20cruiser.jpg

that would be great for races at mid ohio!!

I love the FJ's look. I just hate driving them. They are annoying to see out of and drive with all the blind spots those small windows make. I'd love to get one if I could afford it though.

If you are really considering it for a "family car" try crawling in and out of the back seats. It sucks, feels like the FJ is giving birth and you are the baby.

Also the down hill assist sucks big balls. I had the chance a few years back to test drive a topped out FJ on a light off road course. Crawling down a hill I slammed on the breaks and rear end of the FJ jumped about a foot off the ground when the weight shifted. Scared the shit out of me. Never had that happen on any Jeep I have ever owned.

If you are really considering it for a "family car" try crawling in and out of the back seats. It sucks, feels like the FJ is giving birth and you are the baby.

Also the down hill assist sucks big balls. I had the chance a few years back to test drive a topped out FJ on a light off road course. Crawling down a hill I slammed on the breaks and rear end of the FJ jumped about a foot off the ground when the weight shifted. Scared the shit out of me. Never had that happen on any Jeep I have ever owned.

thanks for the insight.

It was just barely tough for me to get in the back. Not to hard actually putting things in there, but you get sort of trapped between the 2 doors in tight parking spots so I've heard. Slightly convenient that i'm a twig and so is my fiancee lol

I guess it just seems like a huge jump from a slammed Mini Cooper

There is a black six speed at my work (hinderer Honda). It has a trd exhaust. Seemed pretty nice. I don't know how much they are asking but I'm sure you can negotiate a little. I'm just a lowly tech so I cant help ya with the price but if you decide to buy it from us, tell them I told you about the car before you buy it and I will gladly give you half of the 50$ I get for a referral lol.

I think that one is 25K and some change... they'd need to come down a lot. Also kind of want an auto for this rig.

If you see anymore give me a shout. You can definitely keep the whole referral as it would be well earned for keeping me in the loop!

and to anyone else who logs this in the back of their minds... Looking for Silver, beige, or white. No blue or yellow

We test drove one before getting the rav. Honestly, we both really liked it, but we needed something a bit more highway friendly as opposed to a bit more offroad friendly.

Im not sure about the whole Downhill Assist on the FJ, but I was thoroughly impressed with the RAV's. Also, they may've changed the system since you first drove it, but honestly, Im really not sure. I just don't recall.