Thinking of moving over to a FJ Cruiser

iwashmycar

I see that there may be a couple in Cincy. Damn. Tough decision to haul all the way there just to look...

Wonder if it is worth anything to call em up and try and throw numbers on the phone? Seems strange, but if there is a chance they could get me down there a lot more willingly lol

Apparently they share a Lot with the 4Runner, more than I knew. To me one huge fail is that they didn't put the V8 in the FJ - you can only get it in an auto in the 4Runner, but if you don't want the manual in the FJ, that reason for not having a V8 is gone. I know they look and are different in some ways, but that 4.7 makes the 4Runner go ZOOM and it can tow a lot. My buddy has one with slightly oversize BFG MTs and springs for the FJ to bring it up a bit (when I started to find out how similar they were chassis wise...)

Just something you may want to look into to make sure you get what you really want! If I were to get another mid size SUV, it'd be the V8 4Runner Limited for sure, of course being a modern mommy mobile with the requisite 1-3" lift and a set of BFG AT or MT's and go on living the de-pussified lifestyle.

Also, don't even consider the 2WD - you'll be one more "SUV" immobile and spinning it's rear tires up a 4 degree incline on Sawmill next winter while I pull around you into the left lane and rip bye at an awe-inpsiring-to-your-stuck ass at 15 mph. Your ass will have been kicked by Dublin in winter, and the shame of your man card being put into your wifes purse will be inevitable. :p Seriously, don't get 2WD for that and a million other reasons.

I laugh so hard at these guys stuck in their "trucks" on major ROADs with their girl friends next to them - they can only be wondering why they're dating such a pussy... so you do it like I do, put it in 4WD, attach the 4" tow strap to the D Ring that resides on the back of your rig, and ask him if he has an attachment point for you to save his day. Wink at the girl... shake your head at him and wink at her again, the pull them out in 10 seconds flat, wave good bye and go about your business. Optionally, go back to the window and tell him good luck, tell her to make better decisions with the men in her life, and then be on your way.

In other words, teach men how they ought to live, don't be the one who needs a teaching :p A 2WD truck is a public announcement regarding your membership in the ESGA (Eunuch's Support Group of America).

Apparently they share a Lot with the 4Runner, more than I knew. To me one huge fail is that they didn't put the V8 in the FJ - you can only get it in an auto in the 4Runner, but if you don't want the manual in the FJ, that reason for not having a V8 is gone. I know they look and are different in some ways, but that 4.7 makes the 4Runner go ZOOM and it can tow a lot. My buddy has one with slightly oversize BFG MTs and springs for the FJ to bring it up a bit (when I started to find out how similar they were chassis wise...)

Just something you may want to look into to make sure you get what you really want!

yeah i have been eyeing them a little. I cant quite figure out the bodystyles / years yet... some look badass with the scoop and whatnot and some just look pretty lame... also you probably have to pay a mint for the v8 like in the H3's

Brother had one up to about 70K and loved it.. We had ran it around in the OBX and it was doing better than all the other 4 wheel drives. My only complaint was the clam shell rear doors and getting in/out. Otherwise easy car to maintain and drive (Both on/off road)..

With the exception of the gas you will be happy..

I do like the Wranglers they just feel a lot cheaper and I cannot help but feel the Chrysler-ness.... I dont feel the reliability is up to par, but I could be mistaken *shrug*

If you are looking at a Wrangler, and going new, wait till next year. The new 3.6L engine that replaces all of Chrysler's current V6 engines gets more hp, tq, and better mpg than anything else they currently have. It is currently the V6 option in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

yeah i have been eyeing them a little. I cant quite figure out the bodystyles / years yet... some look badass with the scoop and whatnot and some just look pretty lame... also you probably have to pay a mint for the v8 like in the H3's

The 4Runners with the scoop are the sport model.

They do look slick and typically have better wheels.

Here she is. Decided to drive down round the Cincy area yesterday and found this one in Kentucky. Pretty stoked. Seems solid with all service history ect ect, so we will see.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/05112011.jpg

So far I like most everything. The interior is more simple (no auto AC ect), with TONS of room... being a big square box with rather thin panels it feels huge. No creaks or rattles to speak of, and once you drive one a bit you get used to the blindspots, and it doesn't really feel all that big anymore.

Drives great over our shitty roads. I do need to get under it tonight and grease the zerks on the yokes and spider gears on the drive-shafts as they develop a sort of clunk feeling when you stop at lights when they bind under engine load while braking.

It all appears rather well-built though you can still feel the Toyota truck in it... Doors weight half as much as a mini cooper door, and give a hollow thud upon closing. The wiper stalk and cruise are identical to a 95 corolla, with im sure a few other parts... Door handles are exactly like my bosses '10 Tundra.... stuff like that. Kind of cool when it comes to the familiarity. The Mini was very quirky with everything.

the 3 windshield wipers are awesome

Only problem I have is the wheels on these like to bubble or corrode under the paint between the spokes... oh well. Ill keep this one clean but 'its a truck'. I feel almost liberated from the insane OCD I had with my other cars... It was difficult keeping the MINI pristine and DD'ing it 25K miles a year.

The other ones test drove better than this one drives. I attribute this to the tires. I have ordered a whole new set, and they 'gave me' money off the car price to do so, as these ones are the OEM Dunlops and are about shot.... I'm hoping for good things with the General Grabber AT2's that should be arriving today or early next week. Basically a BFG KO knockoff minus the stiff (10ply I think) E load rating... I dont need that sort of beast yet

Nice pick up, like the color. Hows the interior, fit and finish, things that you now know after owning it for a while vs the test drive?

I popped back in here with the same question. :)

Glad you're enjoying the FJ. Now, when you get your new tires, you should come up to Delaware. Nice offroading spot here by the house. You can try not to get embarassed by a RAV. (Shouldnt be hard in the FJ. lol)

sounds like fun. I would like to try and see what she'll do.

I envy all the guys out west. with thier desert / rock trails. Only thing that seems to suck about OH is tree'd forest trails. I dont really want to pinstripe it lol