Another diesel question, Surging.

Draco-REX

I've noticed some surging while driving Tug. If I try to maintain a steady speed, sometimes I'll feel the engine surge up and down about once a second. I don't have a tach, so I'm not sure if it's engine or transmission related.

Is this surging something related to diesel engines? Or does it sound more like a transmission issue? It seemed to get a little worse when I was towing, but it still did it when I wasn't.

Is the speed going up with the surge? If yes, can you see the exhaust pipe while driving to confirm any puffs of black smoke? Air bubbles may be introduced in the fuel system.

If engine revs go up without additional speed, the tranny may be slipping.

Is the speed going up with the surge? If yes, can you see the exhaust pipe while driving to confirm any puffs of black smoke? Air bubbles may be introduced in the fuel system.

If engine revs go up without additional speed, the tranny may be slipping.

Hmm, now that I'm trying, I can't remember if it was surging forward or losing speed. But I could definitely feel it as I drove. No tach means I can't compare speed with rpm.

I should probably drain the transmission and refill it with a healthy dose of slip-fix.

change fuel filter?

I should. But damn if it isn't buried. Maybe I can get to it from the cabin, but I don't think I could get my hand in there to change it.

I should. But damn if it isn't buried. Maybe I can get to it from the cabin, but I don't think I could get my hand in there to change it.

make an ad on CL looking for a midget to replace a fuel filter....make sure you specify it to be a chick and has to be willing to wear a bikini and that you videotape her changing the filter

make an ad on CL looking for a midget to replace a fuel filter....make sure you specify it to be a chick and has to be willing to wear a bikini and that you videotape her changing the filter

I'm not going to whore out my tow vehicle for your fetishes. :gabe:

Frankly, it's one funky looking filter. Designed like an oil filter but the bottom is completely open. I have some stuff I need to do before the next RallyX event in two weeks, I'll see if I can get to the filter from the top. I also need to check out the air filter too.

If it's a good filter, it'll have a water seperator at the bottom...the clear part. Maybe wise to drain/replace the filter like Sam said. Is there a petcock at the bottom to drain out the water?

Cleetus has a 6.2L Detroit Diesel IDI engine...not a fan of ANY air/water in the system. I replace the filter at least once a year even though I hardly put 3-4k miles on it.