PC Help - Dual booting Windows 7 64-bit with XP

mrblunt

I have a client that purchased a gateway box and wants to migrate all of her files. She has a licensed copy of quickbooks pro 2000 which isnt compatible with Win7. It requires her to purchase another 250 dollar license which is silly so im trying to setup a dual boot machine. I partitioned 20gb of her HD and tryed to boot to XP Pro with a disc but it keeps BsoD'ing. Im going to continue searching the internets but wanted to see if there was someone on here that could recommend an easy solution. At this point if I can't dual boot from the harddrive I may see if there is a virtual solution or something that can be done from a usb drive. I'm open for options but it must be a pretty easy solution bc this lady is computer illiterate and I cant be going over there everyday.

I just did this a few weeks ago and it was very easy to find the answer on google.

I had XP Pro 32 and put Win7 64 on a second HDD. The PC automatically prompts for which OS to boot into I didn't have to do anything special.

I just did this a few weeks ago and it was very easy to find the answer on google.

I had XP Pro 32 and put Win7 64 on a second HDD. The PC automatically prompts for which OS to boot into I didn't have to do anything special.

I did search google and found the method that I was already aware. This is to partition space, restart with XP Pro disc in drive and go through the standard format/load of that partition. I've done this several times in the past however this machine bluescreens on me and tells me to use checkdisk. One of the websites I looked at last night had post after post of the same thing happening. I've actually been strongly considering the second HDD option bc then i dont have to worry about the boot.ini conflicts (which is what easy BCD is fixing if I read that correctly). I need this to be as easy for her as possible.

Do you have any issues with XP deleting the restore points saved on your 7 partition? I've been finding hints of that on a few websites.

If its win 7 pro and the processor supports virtualization, I would install it in virtual xp mode.

Good recommendation. I didnt know this existed. This would save me from having to find a serial number and drivers for the second OS. Not to mention the folder integration between environments. This sounds like a winner. THANKS.

XP Mode is only available in Win7 Pro or Ultimate. The price of the upgrade was almost as much as upgrading to QuickBooks 2011. I ended up setting up Windows Virtual PC and using a serial number from some student software that I got from devry. I'll never be using XP so it worked out and i'll charge her for it :) I loaded up Quickbooks 2000 and restored her settings from a backup file and it works like a charm. Thanks for the suggestions guys.