recommend me a cam

pontiacfreak142

Im looking to order a cam for my 383 in the next couple of days. So far ive emailed comp with most of the specs of the motor and they recommended a cam, that i thought was pretty decent, but says its pretty mild on jegs web site.

The part number for it is 12-342-4.

specs on the motor so far,

383 stroker

11.5:1 compression

aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 valves 190cc runner

looking to keep from having to spin it much past 6500 rpm

1/4 mile car.

Small blocks love lift. But, have you done any measuring to see how high you can go? Piston reliefs? Already have your springs?

EDIT - looked up that part number. For your set up, that's a pretty good choice, IMO. I've kept between 292-302 duration and 510-525 lift on 383's and been happy with the blend of lope and performance.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft

Lift .510"/.507"

Duration 296/305

RPM Range 3000-6800

Small blocks love lift. But, have you done any measuring to see how high you can go? Piston reliefs? Already have your springs?

EDIT - looked up that part number. For your set up, that's a pretty good choice, IMO. I've kept between 292-302 duration and 510-525 lift on 383's and been happy with the blend of lope and performance.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft

Lift .510"/.507"

Duration 296/305

RPM Range 3000-6800

no idea on the piston reliefs, but the heads im getting have springs that are good to .600 lift.

and good to know, just wasnt sure how this cam would do seeing as it said it was mild. i mean im not looking to go crazy by any means, just something thats gonna run good.

That cam really isn't all that mild. It's not a really high lift, but it's 246/253 @.050. In a 383 that's not a huge amount of duration, but its still pretty stout. It also has a very narrow lobe separation and would probably work well for you since you actually have enough compression to make use of it.

I'm no cam expert, but I think it's a pretty sound option. I second the suggestion to check your seat pressure on those springs to make sure it's not too much. As long as the springs are within spec and you use a good break-in lube you shouldn't have any lobe wipe issues.

EDIT: Comp calls for their 986 spring for that cam. It's 132lbs on seat at 1.75" (293lbs open), which is fairly heavy. I doubt whatever base option springs you get on your heads will be any heavier, but it's still a good practice to check them.