I won $2 million in the lottery, but still use food stamps

Mallard

http://www.freep.com/article/20110517/NEWS06/110517023/Michigan-man-still-food-stamps-despite-winning-2M

A man who won $2 million on a Michigan lottery show has told a TV station that he still uses food stamps.

Leroy Fick of Bay County admitted he still swipes the electronic card at stores, nearly a year after winning a jackpot on "Make Me Rich!" He told WNEM-TV in Saginaw that more than half the prize went to taxes.

Fick says the Department of Human Services told him he could continue to use the card, which is paid with tax dollars. He told WNEM: "If you're going to ... try to make me feel bad, you aren't going to do it."

The TV station says people have seen Fick driving a new Audi convertible. Messages seeking comment were left with his attorney and the state today.

This makes me want to punch someone.

Also, this story comes out a day after a powerball winner from Detroit shot and killed his daughter's landlord because she was getting evicted for not paying her rent. Seriously. He won several million dollars, after splitting with some co-workers in a pool, and his daughter can't pay rent at a POS apartment, so he shot him in the street.

Lottery Winner Kills Landlord Over Daughter's Refusal to Pay Rent

Posted by Dave Blount at May 18, 2011 7:31 AM

No amount of free money poured on the poor is going to improve anything, as illustrated by the case of homicidal millionaire Freddie Young of Detroit:

Three months ago, Freddie Young became a lottery millionaire.

Today, the 62-year-old Detroiter is residing not in a luxury home but in a jail cell, accused of gunning down the owner of an apartment complex for evicting his daughter.

The landlord was Greg McNicol, originally of Australia, apparently a saintly but misguided eccentric who thought it was possible to do business in Detroit.

Apartment resident Florida Benton said McNicol was more than a landlord — he was a person with a good heart who lived in the "worst apartment" in the complex while he made repairs on the other units.

She wonders why a newly minted millionaire would allegedly get so worked up over unpaid rent in a run-down complex.

"My question is: If (Young) had that type of money, what was his daughter still doing here?" Benton said. "It is just as easy to put someone in a new residence tomorrow as it is to come down here and shoot someone in cold blood."

As easy maybe, but not as natural.

Prior to moving into the clink, Young lived in a $15,000 house described as a "ramshackle dwelling." The lottery money apparently went into new cars.

You guys do know saginaw is not near the DET???

We have a house in saginaw-ish area and its not by detroit. Just so you all know.

The food stamp guy is in the Saganaw area, the lottery winner that shot his daughters landlord is in Detroit.

Buckeye - Metro beach isn't in the heart of Detroit. You have nothing to worry about there.

Saw this today - absolute bullshit - from the idiots administering food stamps to the guy who should know better/have enough integrity to turn it down. But I guess that's just the entitlement mentallity that we are fostering in this country - and could be the demise of same. It's happened before, and those who fail to learn from history often repeat it.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy ….”

Alexander Tyler, Historian speaking about the fall of the Athenian Republic

The food stamp guy is in the Saganaw area, the lottery winner that shot his daughters landlord is in Detroit.

Buckeye - Metro beach isn't in the heart of Detroit. You have nothing to worry about there.

Ya I understood that, just seems like the post was more dedicated to the foodstamps issue, but the following posts all were about Detroit... Any one else one here go up to the bay city, saginaw area?? AKA east tawas, oscoda, or about 1 hour south of alpena? Or hale... Thats where we have our house, in that general area and its so awesome up there. If you like dirt bikes, boats, snowmobiles (winter), fishing, hunting, kyaking, chilling at a huge sandbar with music food and beer, then you need to buy a foreclosed house up there. lol

We bought a house that was about 3/4's the size of our house here in ohio, and has 4x the land, for 30,000. It was foreclosed. You can get a huge house right on the lake with a dock and launch ramp for 150,000 dollars. Thats our plan. But its funny all of our neighbors up there remind me of this lottery food stamps guy. its 2 stereo types all wrapped up in one.

nice. probably has nice clothes and the cars as the story states, then comes home to a broke ass crap hole

detroit hood rich lol

the free lottery guy is in saginaw, not detroit.

:no:

Ya I understood that, just seems like the post was more dedicated to the foodstamps issue, but the following posts all were about Detroit... Any one else one here go up to the bay city, saginaw area?? AKA east tawas, oscoda, or about 1 hour south of alpena? Or hale... Thats where we have our house, in that general area and its so awesome up there. If you like dirt bikes, boats, snowmobiles (winter), fishing, hunting, kyaking, chilling at a huge sandbar with music food and beer, then you need to buy a foreclosed house up there. lol

We bought a house that was about 3/4's the size of our house here in ohio, and has 4x the land, for 30,000. It was foreclosed. You can get a huge house right on the lake with a dock and launch ramp for 150,000 dollars. Thats our plan. But its funny all of our neighbors up there remind me of this lottery food stamps guy. its 2 stereo types all wrapped up in one.

Yeah, I have family that has a house on Saganaw Bay. A few months ago I was looking at property and accidently searched up there. I found something like 60 acres for 100k, all wooded.

buckeye - I would love to make it out. I'll have to see what's going on. I'm supposed to be in birthing classes with my wife that Saturday.