Looking for a dog trainer

blue98ls1

We bought a puppy that is probably going to end up out weighing me by quite a bit (Great Dane mix). I can train the dog the basic's to walk on a leash without pulling (which he is already doing very well with), sit, stay, etc... But I want this dog trained 100% NOT to pull me onto my face if we are out walking and he would "happen to see something" when he is full grown. I want to know for sure he will listen to my every command, not 99% of the time, but 100% of the time.

With that said, anyone have any recommendations for a dog trainer?

My neighbor across the street has been a professional animal behaviorist for around 20 years. She's got one of the top 5 obedience Rottweiler's in the country.

Here's her info.

Elissa O'Sullivan

Animal Behaviorist

(614) 578-7931

nobaddogs@wideopenwest.com

Pinch collars are def NOT the way to go.

Try a gentle leader...they work very well and are a humane way to leash train your dog.

That's not an accurate statement. There are a variety of ways to train and you shouldn't, based on opinion, discount them. I've trained using both and I prefer pinch or "choke" collars.

That's not an accurate statement. There are a variety of ways to train and you shouldn't, based on opinion, discount them. I've trained using both and I prefer pinch or "choke" collars.

I'm just going off what a professional of 20+ years has told me. In no way am I an expert, but how is anything called a "pinch" or "choke" collar to be considered humane? Just sayin.

I'm just going off what a professional of 20+ years has told me. In no way am I an expert, but how is anything called a "pinch" or "choke" collar to be considered humane? Just sayin.

The pinch and choke collars both simulate the bite of an alpha dog. The bite isn't designed to hurt, just to say "hey, do what I say now." There are different schools of thought, it would seem your trainer is from the one that uses more passive tools to get the job done.

For an experiment, put one of the collars on your arm and pull it. You'll feel how they work.

At this point I just want some advice from the trainer on how to keep him awake during training. He is the only dog I have ever tried training that wants to fall asleep during lessons. :fuuuu:

Its only been a few days and he already knows his name. He will walk on a leash and doesn't pull very much at all, whenever he feels any tugging on the leash he stops and looks at me and starts walking along with me again. He is learning sit, he knows the word and has done it several times on his own but he is stubborn/lazy and wants to know why I want him to do it repeatedly and looks at me with the question in his eyes "wouldn't it be better if I just stayed sitting instead of doing it over and over?" :yuno:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. We will probably use Farrah's services as she comes to us for training. Elissa wanted us to go to a class in Dublin every monday for the next 7 weeks, and that just isn't going to work for us right now. If it was closer to Reynoldsburg it might have worked.

At this point I just want some advice from the trainer on how to keep him awake during training. He is the only dog I have ever tried training that wants to fall asleep during lessons. :fuuuu:

Its only been a few days and he already knows his name. He will walk on a leash and doesn't pull very much at all, whenever he feels any tugging on the leash he stops and looks at me and starts walking along with me again. He is learning sit, he knows the word and has done it several times on his own but he is stubborn/lazy and wants to know why I want him to do it repeatedly and looks at me with the question in his eyes "wouldn't it be better if I just stayed sitting instead of doing it over and over?" :yuno:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. We will probably use Farrah's services as she comes to us for training. Elissa wanted us to go to a class in Dublin every monday for the next 7 weeks, and that just isn't going to work for us right now. If it was closer to Reynoldsburg it might have worked.

If he's a puppy, there is no advice. Pups get physically and mentally tired during a training session. A lot of times they can't go longer than a half hour, but that gets better with time.

I think you'll be happy with Farrah, she's really good at what she does.

National K9. As for Farrah...in my one experience watching her try to work with my neighbors dog she was unimpressive and did not accomplish any kind of meaningful training then called in some convict named Tim Helser to try to help and the whole situation was a failure. Then again that was my one training experience with her. Maybe it was an isolated incident. As for pinches and slips being inhumane..that is incorrect. I have yet to see a mainstream tool that is inhuman if used PROPERLY. They are however inhuman if used improperly which I see all the time.
  • Upvote 1

My neighbor across the street has been a professional animal behaviorist for around 20 years. She's got one of the top 5 obedience Rottweiler's in the country.

Here's her info.

Elissa O'Sullivan

Animal Behaviorist

(614) 578-7931

nobaddogs@wideopenwest.com

I think I took my CCW class with her. If so she was a nice lady and seemed to know what she was talking about (when we had free time to talk).

National K9. As for Farrah...in my one experience watching her try to work with my neighbors dog she was unimpressive and did not accomplish any kind of meaningful training then called in some convict named Tim Helser to try to help and the whole situation was a failure. Then again that was my one training experience with her. Maybe it was an isolated incident. As for pinches and slips being inhumane..that is incorrect. I have yet to see a mainstream tool that is inhuman if used PROPERLY. They are however inhuman if used improperly which I see all the time.

I want a personal murder dog. Can they do that for me?

I was going to recomend the same place. We had a meet and "assesment" with a trainer from here and he made me feel very comfortable with his abilities. They are a little pricey atleast for the route that we want to take but, they garuntee results or you dont pay. They are over off of taylor station across from the hospital. Plus, they offer the come to you service as well.

School children, specifically. :gabe:

Well, NK9 has the ability to do that but I highly doubt that they would.

Get in touch with Tim Helser, he has 2 pages of convictions. I am sure he would do it for you.

Can't see the face too well but I think that may be Farrah holding the dog.

Well, NK9 has the ability to do that but I highly doubt that they would.

Get in touch with Tim Helser, he has 2 pages of convictions. I am sure he would do it for you.

Can't see the face too well but I think that may be Farrah holding the dog.

Since Gunner is her dog, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one handling him. Considering he is trained for schutzhund competitions I'd be surprised to not see him doing this. I guess it's more surprising to have my super aggressive mutt standing next to Gunner, trying to be dominant, while Gunner ignores her and listens to Farrah's commands.

I guess if you want to continue painting her in a bad light, you shouldn't note that she also has search and rescue dogs which she handles in events like the destruction of Joplin. It's ok though, you're the expert that doesn't even know how to test a dog properly before trying to adopt them out, only to put dumb stipulations on the adoption because of your idea of breed characteristics.

Sorry for the thread jack Tina.