Looking at newer cars

3.1cutlass

So the Olds is dying a slow death and it is time to look at a new DD. I am looking at around 10-12k range and must be something GM or MAYBE a Ford. I have been looking at an SS/SC cobalt coupe possibly or a TC one if I can find one in my range. Anybody have any pros/cons to them? I am open to other suggestions as well so humor me.

I've read some good stuff about the TC SS, not that I know from experience, but I did give a SC SS the taillights in the Evo :) one time. Maybe higher mileage GTO ?

I wont pretend to know if these are good deals or not, just around your range.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=299637484&dealer_id=1884839&car_year=2004&doors=&systime=&position=top&model=GTO&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1306283944139&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=70521&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&address=43021&color=&sort_type=mileageASC&max_price=&make=PONT&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=24&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=299872621&dealer_id=620448&car_year=2004&doors=&systime=&position=top&model=GTO&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1306283944139&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=70521&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&address=43021&color=&sort_type=mileageASC&max_price=&make=PONT&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=165&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=295048683&dealer_id=615961&car_year=2004&doors=&systime=&position=top&model=GTO&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1306283944139&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=70521&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=COLUMBUS_OH_EA&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&address=43021&color=&sort_type=mileageASC&max_price=&make=PONT&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=109&standard=false

GTO hands down! Great daily, even in the snow. All you need is good tires and halfway decent driving ability. I have driven some SS/SC Cobalts and enjoyed them, but a GTO is sooo much better in every possible way imaginable.

I agree with GTO and would love to have one for myself but, the turbo cobalts are pretty damn impressive from what ive seen/ heard. A buddy of mine worked with a guy who had one with fmic, downpipe, and tune and made like 400ish to the wheels or something crazy like that (could be BS though). I think he may be a member, I saw the car at last track day I was at.

If sticking with GM, I would say either a Saturn sky Redline (better looking) or the Pontiac Solstice GXP. They are relatively quick to begin with, and can be made to make lots more power cheaply. I would imagine that they handle pretty well also.

If sticking with GM, I would say either a Saturn sky Redline (better looking) or the Pontiac Solstice GXP. They are relatively quick to begin with, and can be made to make lots more power cheaply. I would imagine that they handle pretty well also.

I have been looking at the Sky, Solstice is out of the question.

RWD would be the better option so go with the GTO.. but SS/TC + gm stage 1 = 290ish HP within warranty and over 30MPG might be worth considering.

That's my thought too with gas prices the way they are.

How cheap are SS/TC's going for now? Last time I checked the cheapest were still 15k or more.

All I know is that you can find GTO's these days CHEAP! If I don't get a C5 in the next couple years, an 05/06 GTO is at the top of my list

How cheap are SS/TC's going for now? Last time I checked the cheapest were still 15k or more.

All I know is that you can find GTO's these days CHEAP! If I don't get a C5 in the next couple years, an 05/06 GTO is at the top of my list

11-15k from what I have seen.

The SS/SC are anywhere from 9k-13k with pretty low miles.

RWD would be the better option so go with the GTO.. but SS/TC + gm stage 1 = 290ish HP within warranty and over 30MPG might be worth considering.

The Saturn is RWD, and is also American, and was made here....in America. The Redline is 260hp without the upgraded turbo, 290 with it.

11-15k from what I have seen.

Get the fuuuuck out! Seriously? Damn I guess it's been a while since I've looked. I'd love to have an SS/TC, but personally I'd still rather have a 6-speed GTO even if it was an 04

The Saturn is RWD, and is also American, and was made here....in America. The Redline is 260hp without the upgraded turbo, 290 with it.

Yes that is a great choice... I just personally wouldn't consider a 2-seater for a daily. I like to at least have the option to drive around more than 1 other person.

Get the fuuuuck out! Seriously? Damn I guess it's been a while since I've looked. I'd love to have an SS/TC, but personally I'd still rather have a 6-speed GTO even if it was an 04

Yeah they have dropped in price quite a bit. I would honestly prefer an 04 GTO just for the LS1 but thats me. I looked some more and I guess they are right around 15k range for the ss/tc.

Yes that is a great choice... I just personally wouldn't consider a 2-seater for a daily. I like to at least have the option to drive around more than 1 other person.

Yeah, same here. 2 seats is not an option.

If you do go GTO, you should swap the front end and rebadge the entire car as the Holden Monaro, I haven't seen that yet and it would be unique. I also think they look better, they don'y look like a souped up Grand AM!

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/holden-monaro-1.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Red_Vauxhall_Monaro_VXR_front.jpg

The Monaros look awesome, but I've never understood how people think a GTO looks like a Grand Am or Cavalier or whatever. Because the styling is simple and not over the top? Lower a stock GTO on a nice set of wheels, and they look tits! IMO

You like the grand am look better?

I like they way they look better yes. It's not worth all the $$ to import the parts just to have a visually different car. I would rather spend the money to make it faster.

The Monaros look awesome, but I've never understood how people think a GTO looks like a Grand Am or Cavalier or whatever. Because the styling is simple and not over the top? Lower a stock GTO on a nice set of wheels, and they look tits! IMO

Its because of the pontiac bird beak nose.