Workout Advice

Guest Hal

Gabe got me thinking in a Kitchen thread, a lot of people could use a little bit of workout advice to get going in the right direction. I have a 1st draft of my of my articles on this computer so, I figured I could post it for anyone interested. This article is about the basic foundation of any strength training regimen, though it holds true to very basic bodybuilding as well.

As an exceptional strength athlete, the feeling of weakness is often a foreign concept. Throwing around weights and using inventive, if sometimes extreme, methods of training, which the average gym member marvels over, becomes second nature. Even the walls of mirrors in the gym seem to bow to the presence of your pumped muscles at the end of a workout. These things are just the facts of life when you have reached an elite level. What we often forget, even when offering training advice, is how we got to this level.

The question of how has been unfortunately fresh in my mind this past week. Having been on a complete hiatus from anything resembling a gym for nearly five years, I now find myself in a rare position of entering into a new gym and, gasp, being the average member. The years of bad diets and cubicles have certainly taken their toll on my strength and figure. Now, as I sit in my office, nursing my sore chest and shoulders, I find myself desperately combing through my old workouts for the magic program that will whip me back into my former shape. It's difficult to admit to myself that the magic workout won't be found in these old files. No, when I just began training I didn't even know enough to keep logs of my programs. Sifting through even the oldest recorded programs, I find myself saying the same things over and over again. "No, bands won't help get me back into shape." "No, I can't use chains or boards at this level." etc...

As discouraging as my lack of fitness magic is, I can find solace in the fact that I am getting what so few elite strength athletes ever do, a second chance. There are no nagging rotator cuff injuries or wrist problems. There is no single undertrained muscle I have to target, they are all undertrained. Instead there is, in this moment, a realization that I have found the opportunity to correct my old training. I get to simply start over.

Reading this far I know you must be thinking "okay, that's great for you. What does this have to do with me?". I guess, having put up with my ramblings so far, I can let you in on the "secret how-to" hidden inside. The secret is to simply stick to the basics. This holds especially true for beginners and those reentering the field like myself. I know there are great methods for breaking through plateaus and getting the most from your equipment. In fact all of my old recorded programs have at least one of those methods incorporated. That being said, it's time to restart from the beginning. In its simplest training form, I am preaching the crawl-walk-run philosophy.

Creating a strong upper body is probably the first thing on your mind if you're brand new to strength training. After all, what's more impressive than a big bench press number? Let's get the stigma of the massive upper body out of the way first.

Upper Body Training:

As is our theme, stick to the basics. For your upper body bench press needs, there is no more basic exercise than the flat bench press. From there you need to supplement the training with additional exercises targeting more specific muscle groups.

Supplemental Chest - To build your upper and lower chest, be sure to incorporate both incline and decline bench presses, respectively. I tend to alternate these exercises to keep a continued "shock" going. Dumbbell bench presses (flat, incline, and decline variations) are a great exercise to use for stability and explosive chest strength. Finally I add in dumbbell flies to create a wider, stronger, chest. There really isn't a need add anything fancier than these bread and butter exercises for a powerful chest.

Supplemental Arms - This is often the point that I really see beginners wander away from the basics. Creating those beach muscles that everyone desires will come if you stick to the basics (am I being to repetitive yet?). I will break the arms down into two obvious categories, biceps and triceps.

Biceps - I use fairly limited variation with bicep exercises. The basics simply work when it comes to targeting your biceps. I suggest alternating between standard dumbbell curls and barbell curls. The only significant departure I suggest from these is that you incorporate hammer curls to build your forearm strength.

Triceps - Similarly to bicep exercises, I stick to a few central triceps exercises. Alternating between french curls, skull/nose crushers, and tricep dips which will give you a solid base for triceps strength. One of the few times I recommend using a machine is for tricep push downs. The only other exercise for triceps that I really suggest is, close grip bench presses. While the preceding exercises will build size and strength, the power really comes from close grip bench presses.

Shoulders and Upper Back - I often see beginning lifters ignore their shoulders and back. This can leave you severely lacking when it comes to useable strength and will definitely destroy hopes of that massive bench press. For shoulders I tend to suggest only one specific exercise, military presses. Moving on to the upper back I suggest alternating between lat pull downs (another machine) with a straight bar or v-grip and low rows.

Again, simplicity is the key. The suggested exercises are not the only ones that work. They are just simple, effective exercises that help you build a strong foundation before moving on to bigger more complicated maneuvers. The same simplicity will be found moving into the lower body exercises.

Lower Body Training:

Squats and Deadlifts - These exercises are so significant that they definitely warrant their own category. Both will work every muscle in your body and are absolutely essential to a complete strength building program. I suggest alternating between the two in 4-6 week intervals.

Supplemental Legs - As if your legs can still move after a good squat workout, you will need to add supplemental leg exercises. I suggest rotating between leg presses and leg extensions/leg curls (both machine exercises). Finally I follow up working abductors and adductors using either stretches or machine exercises.

Supplemental Core - Your core is key to both upper body lifts and lower body. Although each major exercise (bench press, squats, deadlifts) will work your core if executed properly, you should add some supplemental exercises. This is one section where I often defer to other writers, like those in Men's Health. That being said, I will offer my short opinion on core exercises. Do not dedicate your entire workout to your core. Keep the core exercises to a sort period at the end of each workout to avoid over training. Remember, we are looking at strength more than beach muscles. That being said, I tend to stick to simple situps, reverse crunches, good mornings, and various stretches. As always, simplicity is the key.

Form - Form is everything in strength training. If you don't have proper form, you might as well not be doing the exercise. As much as I would like to continue to write on the subject of form, there simply isn't enough room in an article like this. The best way, in my opinion, to learn the proper form for an exercise is to not be afraid to ask for help when you're unsure. Whether this is in the form of asking a personal trainer for help or attending a workshop, you should take every opportunity to learn.

Okay, this is the part where I write a conclusion wishing everyone luck, right? I mean, I've already detailed the most basic exercises to use to build a great foundation. We're done, right? Unfortunately, no. You'll have to put up with me for just a little longer. The final piece is how to put all those exercises together.

Similarly to the subject of form, program design is a subject for another article (or book). With that said, it is important to address some of the basics to designing a program so you can get out and start hitting the weights with confidence.

I'm going to run counter to most highly publicized fitness programs in this brief section. Avoid overtraining at all costs. Remember, we're looking to build real strength, not to make our muscles cannibalize themselves. My design for avoiding the overtraining phenomenon is to keep workouts to one hour per day, at most, and three to four days per week. Finally be sure to allow your major muscle groups time to recover before training again (i.e., don't train bench presses on Monday then again on Wednesday).

Beginning a new program, whether for the first time or not, is always difficult. There's competition between what we see every day on TV ("look like this in 30 days!") and the reality that we're just building muscle memory for the first 2-4 weeks. There's the desire for the magic workout that I was so desperately seeking. For some of us there's even the memory of what we used to be. The key here is to build your program on the basics and then stick to it. Real fitness and strength take simple resolve to achieve, not tricks and gimmicks. If you've made it this far through my ramblings, you've already shown you have the desire and dedication to make it to the top. Make the most out of your crawling phase, be the best walker, and you will become to best runner.

Questions/Notes:

Close grip bench presses: how close do you put your hands? I have been doing these with my hands together, touching

Leg lifting: why do i always feel like i am hyperventilating/feel like I am going to puke after doing squats/leg presses? i do managable sets sometimes 3 sets of 15-20 and i feel like blackout city right after getting off the machine.

Questions/Notes:

Close grip bench presses: how close do you put your hands? I have been doing these with my hands together, touching

Leg lifting: why do i always feel like i am hyperventilating/feel like I am going to puke after doing squats/leg presses? i do managable sets sometimes 3 sets of 15-20 and i feel like blackout city right after getting off the machine.

1. I put my index fingers on the inside of the knurls of the bar. You're basically going for a true shoulder width grip here, probably around 10-12" apart. You only want to go down until you break 90 degrees at the elbow. You can change your grip to thumbless to help isolate the triceps as well.

2. You're not doing manageable sets for squats. You need to do more sets and drop the reps, you're exhausting your system prematurely. I would say 12-15 reps for 5+ sets. You also need to focus on breathing. Inhale on your descent (eccentric contraction) and exhale as you rise (concentric contraction). I usually add a nice breath or two at the top of a rep as I get closer to the end of high intensity sets.

Here's my workout/diet advice..

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch.

Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.

Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow.

Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports

Here's my workout/diet advice..

Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch.

Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.

Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow.

Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports

Great advice. A lot of this is how I was able to lose 80+ pounds and keep it off... :cool:

Inhale on your descent (eccentric contraction) and exhale as you rise (concentric contraction). I usually add a nice breath or two at the top of a rep as I get closer to the end of high intensity sets.

id collapse if i breathed like that during squats.

Take a deep breath then descend, don't let the air out till your done with that rep.

a good amount of air in you will keep you up right and keep you from passing out.

Take a deep breath then descend, don't let the air out till your done with that rep.

a good amount of air in you will keep you up right and keep you from passing out.

Maybe on a max attempt or 85%+ set you could collapse but not on normal sets like this. It takes practice to get breathing on high rep sets right. This method has worked well for me as I continue to tighten my core until the bottom of the rep, at that time I can get explosive power to drive back up.

The second part of your note about holding your breath the entire rep is incorrect. You can do it for the descent, but it's not a good idea for the entire set. As you breathe out (not releasing all air at once) you will begin to engage more of your core allowing a stronger rep with better form. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. I train this way and have trained a lot of people to do the same thing. Not one collapsed or was under their potential.

Maybe on a max attempt or 85%+ set you could collapse but not on normal sets like this. It takes practice to get breathing on high rep sets right. This method has worked well for me as I continue to tighten my core until the bottom of the rep, at that time I can get explosive power to drive back up.

The second part of your note about holding your breath the entire rep is incorrect. You can do it for the descent, but it's not a good idea for the entire set. As you breathe out (not releasing all air at once) you will begin to engage more of your core allowing a stronger rep with better form. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. I train this way and have trained a lot of people to do the same thing. Not one collapsed or was under their potential.

this...

This.

copied from another site in regards to holding your breath...

Of paramount importance when training with barbells is maintaining the spine's normal anatomical position. What is normal? When you stand up straight, your spine will assume something of an S-shape if viewed from the side. Near your shoulders, your spine traces the top of the S and demonstrates what is called kyphotic curvature. Your lower back also has a curve, or an arch, referred to as a lordotic curvature. This is normal anatomical position. For the purposes of this article, we are primarily interested in the lower back and keeping it in this extended, normal position when lifting weights.

Maintaining your lordotic curvature when under a load is function of trunk rigidity. The more stable and unmoving your torso, the more efficiently and safely you can transmit force to the load you wish to move. Your spinal erectors will provide isometric support for the spine in the back. The front, or anterior aspect, has only the abdominal musculature, with no corresponding bony structures to maintain stabilization. If you are to more effectively use those abdominal muscles, you need to pressurize your abdominal cavity using what is called the Valsalva maneuver. This is simply taking a big breath and holding it while closing the vocal folds of the throat, known as the glottis.

To perform the Valsalva effectively, you need to use your diaphragm to push your belly outward while inhaling. Just filling the lungs with air and raising the chest is less effective than relaxing the abdomen and pushing down with the diaphragm to stick your stomach out. Once your belly is properly protruding and you are holding that breath, you forcefully contract your abdominal muscles to create a maximally rigid torso. Now you are ready to perform your lift. When done correctly, this will markedly increase intra-abdominal pressure along with blood pressure and it will feel a little like your head wants to explode. By actively maintaining your lumbar curvature through the isometric contraction of the spinal erectors and the usage of the Valsalva maneuver, you can safely handle very heavy weights without fear of injuring your lower back.

A commonly voiced argument against holding the breath while lifting is the possibility of experiencing an aneurysm, or the bursting of a blood vessel in the brain or other part of the body. Such conditions are exceedingly rare and are primarily determined by genetic predisposition to such events. As Mark Rippetoe has rather humorously noted, "Parents cause aneurysms. Lifting weights does not." In healthy individuals, there is nothing to fear from performing the Valsalva maneuver. In fact, by not holding your breath during heavy attempts, you markedly increase your chances of spinal injury. Given that there are almost no recorded cases of anyone anywhere dropping dead from holding their breath while lifting, but there are innumerable instances of painful and debilitating back injuries from lifting improperly, you would be well advised to use the Valsalva on all of your strength-based lifts.

copied from another site in regards to holding your breath...

Of paramount importance when training with barbells is maintaining the spine's normal anatomical position. What is normal? When you stand up straight, your spine will assume something of an S-shape if viewed from the side. Near your shoulders, your spine traces the top of the S and demonstrates what is called kyphotic curvature. Your lower back also has a curve, or an arch, referred to as a lordotic curvature. This is normal anatomical position. For the purposes of this article, we are primarily interested in the lower back and keeping it in this extended, normal position when lifting weights.

Maintaining your lordotic curvature when under a load is function of trunk rigidity. The more stable and unmoving your torso, the more efficiently and safely you can transmit force to the load you wish to move. Your spinal erectors will provide isometric support for the spine in the back. The front, or anterior aspect, has only the abdominal musculature, with no corresponding bony structures to maintain stabilization. If you are to more effectively use those abdominal muscles, you need to pressurize your abdominal cavity using what is called the Valsalva maneuver. This is simply taking a big breath and holding it while closing the vocal folds of the throat, known as the glottis.

To perform the Valsalva effectively, you need to use your diaphragm to push your belly outward while inhaling. Just filling the lungs with air and raising the chest is less effective than relaxing the abdomen and pushing down with the diaphragm to stick your stomach out. Once your belly is properly protruding and you are holding that breath, you forcefully contract your abdominal muscles to create a maximally rigid torso. Now you are ready to perform your lift. When done correctly, this will markedly increase intra-abdominal pressure along with blood pressure and it will feel a little like your head wants to explode. By actively maintaining your lumbar curvature through the isometric contraction of the spinal erectors and the usage of the Valsalva maneuver, you can safely handle very heavy weights without fear of injuring your lower back.

A commonly voiced argument against holding the breath while lifting is the possibility of experiencing an aneurysm, or the bursting of a blood vessel in the brain or other part of the body. Such conditions are exceedingly rare and are primarily determined by genetic predisposition to such events. As Mark Rippetoe has rather humorously noted, "Parents cause aneurysms. Lifting weights does not." In healthy individuals, there is nothing to fear from performing the Valsalva maneuver. In fact, by not holding your breath during heavy attempts, you markedly increase your chances of spinal injury. Given that there are almost no recorded cases of anyone anywhere dropping dead from holding their breath while lifting, but there are innumerable instances of painful and debilitating back injuries from lifting improperly, you would be well advised to use the Valsalva on all of your strength-based lifts.

http://reaction.ralfvandenboom.nl/img/fjOHeRAsAs.gif

i have much more endurance and power if i hold my breath through most of the set. i only take a breath when in a lock out position when doing multiple reps. I only release the air at the point where i am high enough on the motion where the air is not supporting my lift.

like when i bench 315 raw for ten reps i only take a breath at my 8th rep, then bust out another 2. Or squat 550lbs for a single or pull 600lbs I have to take a very large breath then only exhale very close to the top. It works much better this way.

i have much more endurance and power if i hold my breath through most of the set. i only take a breath when in a lock out position when doing multiple reps. I only release the air at the point where i am high enough on the motion where the air is not supporting my lift.

like when i bench 315 raw for ten reps i only take a breath at my 8th rep, then bust out another 2. Or squat 550lbs for a single or pull 600lbs I have to take a very large breath then only exhale very close to the top. It works much better this way.

If it works for you, do it. There are different ways to do everything, this is just the way I lift and the way I train my lifters.

As for the section posted above, that doesn't really mean a whole lot. They give a lot of background related to the spine, but ignore the extreme changes used with proper powerlifting form. It boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Holding my breath throughout parts of a set has always given me trouble, and I can't imagine why anyone would ever suggest it. It has even given me blinding exertion headaches that have obviously been remedied by proper breathing techniques. Sure, you should breath in on a descend and hold it temporarily for correct posture, but upon ascending, breathing out slowly while keeping your abdominal tight is really what makes most sense. You're working your muscles, and they need the oxygen, so holding your breath is a quick way to end up lightheaded. You don't hold your breath on a treadmill, do you?

As Hal said, whatever works best for you, as long as posture and form aren't sacrificed.

Your heart is only going to beat a certain amount of times.

Why waste those prescious beats with exercise?

:dumb:

KillJoy

True but by exercising you will lower your resting heart rate. Yes it will increase while exercising but your resting rate will offset the workout.

Also you better not ever have sex again as that will increase your heart rate as well.