Digital gauge build

unfunnyryan

Picked up an Arduino Uno today (my first ever development board) a 2x16 character LCD, and a pressure/temp sensor. Prototyping is getting done quick! But I am missing a few tiny pieces that would make my job a lot easier.

So far this is costing a lot more than a cheap boost gauge, but this one is way more fun to set up. Plus, I can expand the hell out of this. I eventually want to up my arduino board so that I can have multiple displays, tach, etc. monitored.

Current stage: Software development! I've been out of the programming game for a while so we will see what comes of this.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251417_10150200350327373_601507372_7637071_8319971_n.jpg

I've got a boot screen done, as well as figured out the units. As you can tell, my AC is broken. The temperature doesn't seem to update quick enough, so I will likely use something else to monitor that. It also now auto switches between vacuum and boost, if its =>0.

http://i.imgur.com/5k2Vel.jpg

What else should I monitor with this thing? Next on the to do list is a switch to toggle between screens, followed by maybe GPS speed?

Any way so that when it changes between boost and vacuum is changes between PSI and In/Hg also?

Didn't even think of that, going to make the adjustment.

I love input like this, so if anyone has any suggestions I will take them!

Microcenter carries it all. It is sort of pricey, and I wouldn't have bought it without my employee discount (I got roughly 40% off what I bought)

The code isn't too bad. I took a few Java classes, and this all runs in C. C is pretty damn similar, so no problem for me there. This is all less than 6 hours of work. Another few hours and I could have it in my car and running.

Kewl. Hook a brother up?

PM me about this. But july 1st-10th I can do discounts easily.

UltraGauge. $70

THIS IS FOR SMALL PENIS

I just looked into ways to do RPM, looks like easiest is to measure pulses from the ignition coils. Fuck yeah.

Can you get a bigger display that would let you have all that up at once or possibly big enough to replace the factory cluster with and have the gauges you want?

Im thinking speed, rpm, boost, oil, knock, fuel, etc all on one screen.

Can you get a bigger display that would let you have all that up at once or possibly big enough to replace the factory cluster with and have the gauges you want?

Probably not that big, at least not on this hardware. Biggest I could feasibly get to work would probably be about this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/710 although you could set up several different systems all running at once.

On the other hand, I found something neat. Update when it arrives :)

I think there are modern vehicles with full LCD type gauge clusters? He would probably have to input via CAN though. That would be a PITA.

There are probably also LCD type gauges that are specifically made for this... then those probably have inputs for they type of signal they display and that would defeat the purpose of this project.

You could just do what that Ultra gauge does and have pages, and also have a piece of code for each gauge that says to display it by itself flashing red if it goes outside of some range.

Can you do a bar graph on one of the lines?

OMFG I wonder if you could make one of the 'digital' gauges from the 80's work with this.

http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/G1/86-89-digidash.jpg

Yup, you could do scaling graph or anything. It's all about coding it, it's all possible.

Waiting on a cable before real world testing can begin.. - CABLE ARRIVED 1 MINUTE AFTER POSTING woo.

I found a pretty big library of software someone else has build, thats what I'm mostly using right now. The current menu is navigated with a mini joystick on the red board. For the finished project I'm going to add a larger one to the faceplate.

TO DO LIST

• Replace current screen with large graphical one
  • Joystick
  • Enclosure

Preview pic:

http://i.imgur.com/oVUZzl.jpg

Thanks. I'm stuck with a few software problems at the moment and I'm trying to find some additional support for it, but having little luck.

I may just have to wait it out and see what comes from a few developers in similar projects.