Cleaning steel 55 gallon drums

BIGGU

I just picked up a few 55 gallon drums that I am going to store E85 in to make sure all my batches are around the same content to keep my tune safe.

The issue is that the drums once contained either a cleaner solution, hydraulic fluid, Antifreeze or engine oil. I was considering taking a gallon of simple green and dumping it into the container and then filling it with hot water and let it sit for a week or so and then let it dry.

Any one else done this before? what are some other methods?

I just picked up a few 55 gallon drums that I am going to store E85 in to make sure all my batches are around the same content to keep my tune safe.

The issue is that the drums once contained either a cleaner solution, hydraulic fluid, Antifreeze or engine oil. I was considering taking a gallon of simple green and dumping it into the container and then filling it with hot water and let it sit for a week or so and then let it dry.

Any one else done this before? what are some other methods?

You could get a few gallons of acetone and clean it out, but make sure to dispose of the waste properly.

You could get a few gallons of acetone and clean it out, but make sure to dispose of the waste properly.

^^This for sure.

The acetone being water soluble will work well. Especially for the A/F drum. It can cut the oil as well. Use the Simple Green or Purple Power first, then the acetone to finish. It'll carry off what's left of the water and dry quickly. I wouldn't leave it sit for too long though. They will eat the lining out of the drum and start to rust. Agitation will also be your friend here. Keeping the liquids moving will help tons.