Learn me 97 318i

STEVE-O

I dont know a ton about bmw's esp the older e36 so here is that background I do know

single owner imported from germany brand new. garge kept its whole life. no problems with it. Very clean and well taken care of. It has the 1.9l engine. And it has new tires. Auto.

What would you think/ expect is a good price for these? kbb show it at 2,400 but I know bmws sell for higher than kbb all the time and almost never sell for kbb value ever.

thanks

get a 6cyl unless you are getting a sick deal. and 2400 is too high.

find me a 98+ 4 door 3 series in good shape for around 3k lol Ive been looking and cant find shit that doesnt need work or is not filled with rust.

Hell you find me the right one Im happy with and Il toss some $$$ your way

find me a 98+ 4 door 3 series in good shape for around 3k lol Ive been looking and cant find shit that doesnt need work or is not filled with rust.

Hell you find me the right one Im happy with and Il toss some $$$ your way

they pop up on CL all the time, usually with stupid problems that people cant figure out.

You are right, maybe not 98+ but in my mind, an e36 is an e36.

Right I want a e46 but for that price they are far between. That is why I was looking at a 97 because I also dont want a 1994 or so which is what I am finding on cl al lday long along with 7 series.

B5 + E36 =

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/logos/az-project/i_love_the_90s_281x211.jpg

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/106/887/original/backpain-1292835351.jpg?1300412448

thanks :) But I have a tight budget add a kid and soon to add a house and sorry money goes elsewhere right now than into a car so Im trying to be a little hood rich. I rather drive a 3,000 older audi,bmw etc than a newer civic, cavalier etc with the same mileage

The 318s had a lot of problems with head gaskets. I'm not sure if they ever figured it out, but I know I've spent a lot of time trolling craigslist and finding sub-$1000 318s with blown gaskets. If I were single I'd probably have bought every one of them to flip.

eta: disregard. They'd fixed it by mid-94:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/engine/all_m42_profile_gasket_faq.html

318s had a profile gasket issue, but that was on the e30's.

in general they are good drivers but you want a 6 cyl with some nuts.

Work your magic and send me a pm of where I can get a decent one. Im going tom to look at this 318

They good thing about the 6cyls is the following:

1. Dead reliable. Change fluids regularly, done.

2. When shit does break, there are a metric fuckton of parts available. People junk them.

3. Almost all parts are interchangable and for dirt cheap. Its a myth that these are expensive. (Maybe new parts but who does that?)

4. Good after market. Shit you can get a chip on ebay for $20.

Why all the hate on the 4cyl? EVERY SINGLE 318 that rolls into the shop with the 4 banger has 250K plus miles, whats unreliable about that?

Other than typical front suspension bushings/components, valve cover leakage, accessory belts cracking and RUST. They are great. Once again, it isn't a thread about what YOU would get it's about a car that he has found in his price range.

To OP, I think you found a diamond in the rough finding one that is an original owner car with service records. Check the oil for cleanliness as it will tell you how frequently the oil has been changed. Otherwise, run it as hard as you can safely to make sure the trans does not slip in the higher RPM's, and take note on if the trans shifts very harshly, or sloppy.

If it's not super crusty, they have records, and it drives well. Go for it, that motor is just as reliable as the 6, sure it's not as "noted" or "fast" but its not an absolute turd like some 4 cylinder cars are....

They good thing about the 6cyls is the following:

1. Dead reliable. Change fluids regularly, done. So, are the 4 cylinders

2. When shit does break, there are a metric fuckton of parts available. People junk them. Same with the 4 cyl, CUZ YOU GOTTA HAVE A 6 MAN!!!

3. Almost all parts are interchangable and for dirt cheap. Its a myth that these are expensive. (Maybe new parts but who does that?) Meh, not much arguement here

4. Good after market. Shit you can get a chip on ebay for $20.

I believe he just sold off his fun cars and needs a cheap daily

thanks guys am also looking at a 1.8t a4 friday so unless this bmw has some problems etc it seems like a good choise. i hope everything he is saying is true. Only one way to find out for sure i guess. Thanks again and we will see what happens but this a4 i am going to view has some very good potential if i can get it or either one for the right price

Now the A4 is a totally different story, if it is in your $2500 price range, do them a favor and burn it to the ground when you go look at it. Just sayin'

??? Why the hate on the Audi lol I have not had a single issue with mine. got it at a very good price, and really how many awd turbo cars can you find that run and are in good shape for under 3 grand? not to many so its a great choice to me as a dd.

??? Why the hate on the Audi lol I have not had a single issue with mine. got it at a very good price, and really how many awd turbo cars can you find that run and are in good shape for under 3 grand? not to many so its a great choice to me as a dd.

You must have one of the only ones lol. Every single one including Passat's, Jetta's, etc. that roll into my bay door is just clapped out. Every single light on on the dash, doesn't boost, front suspension falling apart, oil leaks, no oil on dipstick, etc. That's why the hate lol, years of turning wrenches on the pieces of shit, we love them because of the money you make off of them.

Any car you have to remove the nose on to replace the serpentine belt is just utter fail. If YOU like them thats all that matters. "having good luck" does not mean ignoring all the warning lights and check lights on the dash and neglecting maintenance like some of our customers think.

You must have one of the only ones lol. Every single one including Passat's, Jetta's, etc. that roll into my bay door is just clapped out. Every single light on on the dash, doesn't boost, front suspension falling apart, oil leaks, no oil on dipstick, etc. That's why the hate lol, years of turning wrenches on the pieces of shit, we love them because of the money you make off of them.

Any car you have to remove the nose on to replace the serpentine belt is just utter fail. If YOU like them thats all that matters. "having good luck" does not mean ignoring all the warning lights and check lights on the dash and neglecting maintenance like some of our customers think.

I guess I just get "lucky" too...:dumb:

Go put some HG's on Subafails.

That's kind of the problem when you work in a shop, people usually don't take them there when they aren't broken. All it requires is maintenance, if a car is rolling in there without any oil on the dipstick, it sure as fuck as not been maintained.

Jettas being in the same price range as corollas and civics also doesn't help. Corolla and civic people should just not be given the keys to anything that has any level of complexity to it.