Hilton Head.

dover

Looking to go to Hilton Head here shortly and wondering what the best place is to stay down there. Close to shopping, restaurants, attractions and what not. I have one threw kayak.com and all the other search engines and read through some reviews but looking for personal experience. Thanks for the help.

stay close to coligny plaza. really, the area is so small and close-knit that you're close to anything no matter where you stay. we've gone there the past couple years and have stayed at one of the beachside condo's right at the plaza. sea pines is also another nice area to stay. either way, enjoy your trip--love hilton head. a nice, laid-back place to eat is wildwings cafe. there's also a nice sushi/steak restaurant which i'll have to ask my wife the name of. we're headed there this september, not sure where we're staying though. can you tell my wife makes all the travel/vacation arrangements?

+1 for Coligny Plaza, stayed at the Holiday Inn there over memorial day weekend. It's right on the beach, has a nice little bar that has live music in the evenings right in front of the hotel, walking distance to shops, pigly wiggly's, restaurants, short cab ride over to the triangle.

I go down every year with the family to HHI, typically we have stayed in Sea Pines. Where you stay is dependent upon what you like to do. Lazy quiet days and evenings are the norm, maybe searching out a place to eat and shop here and there. Golf is great and the beaches are ok, but the place is a sanctuary for slowing down. Family friendly overall, if you do go, I would recommend the Red Fish as a place to eat (you and significant other). Great wine selection (state minimum + corkage fee) and the signature sea bass dish is excellent (they also serve a couple of steaks). If you are looking for places to stay, I suggest VRBO.com (for rent by owner), the user interface is a little clunky but the prices can beat most rental companies. There are many houses and condo's for rent, houses are more private, condo's are typically within walking distance of shops/eateries, and hotels are usually connected to an eatery with more within walking distance. Good Luck and feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions about the area.

+1 for Coligny Plaza, stayed at the Holiday Inn there over memorial day weekend. It's right on the beach, has a nice little bar that has live music in the evenings right in front of the hotel, walking distance to shops, pigly wiggly's, restaurants, short cab ride over to the triangle.
Same thing I would of said. We stay 3 buildings down due to my reps mother has a condo there we get for $400 for a full week! We do just after labor day to get the rate since it is off peak time and not a lot of people. There is a good breakfast place just on the other side of the road that starts with an S that is great. If you go out to eat there is a little stake place called Hugo's I think off that highway first roundabout coming onto the island. If you don't see it cause it is back into a shopping place it is across the road from the Blockbuster. Check out the online coupon for lunch to get the best deal and prices. ;)