Can anyone look up driving records (MVR)?

Harb67

My mom used to be able to run MVR reports and pull up people's driving records when she worked at her old job (bus garage manager), but she doesn't work there anymore so we don't have access to that. I know you can get them online from third-party sites, but it costs money and it's not really worth that much to me.

Can anyone here run MVR reports? I'm really curious to see mine; I got a ticket last year and it hasn't shown up on my insurance policy yet, so I'm curious if either Progressive is just slow in checking driving records or if maybe the judge was super nice and didn't put it on my record (he DID drop the fine down to just 20$, so who knows...maybe he was feeling generois)

If you have the ability to check driving records, lemmie know and I'll PM you my drivers lisence #.

You can look up your own driving record on the Ohio BMV website. Let me see if I can find the link...

edit: well, I thought you could get it right on screen, but this link says they mail it, or you get it at the Deputy Registrar.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/abst.htm

I think other outfits can also do the search, and one of them might show it right on screen. I'm pretty sure employers do it that way. One was telling me that yesterday.

WAIT, THERE'S MORE... I found it, un-official record from BMV (on -screen), and/or change of driver's license info page:

https://www.dps.state.oh.us/netsys/netdb/ENGLISH/MMENU.asp

(This one is a free search)

Edited by ReconRat
add links

Oh cool thanks, didn't know you could do that. 2$ is much more reasonable than the ridiculous 20-30$ other sites wanted for the same thing (though the other sites probably do it faster than 14-21 days)

note: tickets from out of state or small towns or townships etc may not ever make it to your record. Everything is supposed to be automated now, but not every little place got the gear to do that yet. And they actually have to do it, sometimes they don't. I've had some never show up. (actually, had lots never show up on record).

I just ran mine on the free link, no citations. Although they don't say "no citations". Just none listed. We need someone to run the free link who has a citation show up, so we can know that it really works for that. Volunteers? At least I have a license on record, and the motorcycle endorsement. Never hurts to check, heh?

Bah humbug, looks like Progressive is just slow; my ticket shows up on that site clear as day.

Oh well, this is something I really needed to know. I was considering getting some insurance quotes and maybe switching from Progressive, but since any new policy will undoubtedly have the ticket factored in, Progressive is by default lower than anyone else until it updates my record.

Thanks ReconRat, rep given :D

Doesn't your insurance have a one ticket forgiveness? Some do, some don't. I'm sure anybody else would consider factoring it into a quote though.

Jon, points stay on BMV driving record for two years in Ohio. In terms of adding them up to a point of taking the license away. And also, if you are in court, and the judge looks at your record up there on the bench, that record shows everything you've ever done, no exceptions. All of it. That's my understanding...

edit: insurance companies keep them for three? Those dastards...

Edited by ReconRat
stuff

Doesn't your insurance have a one ticket forgiveness? Some do, some don't. I'm sure anybody else would consider factoring it into a quote though.

Jon, points stay on BMV driving record for two years in Ohio. In terms of adding them up to a point of taking the license away. And also, if you are in court, and the judge looks at your record up there on the bench, that record shows everything you've ever done, no excepts. All of it. That's my understanding...

edit: insurance companies keep them for three? Those dastards...

ok thats good...dont have that many, but 2007 was a bad year for me ticket wise :rolleyes:

...and just got a speeding ticket last friday :mad: those bastards are crackin down to get some $$, they are everywhere!

your insurance agent can look that info up as well.

in this case, you probably didn't want to be doing that, but if it doesnt matter and you're just curious, that is an easy and free way to do it.

I just got a ticket Thursday in PA 73 in a 55. According to the PA website it says 4 points. I'm just hoping the points won't hit my license kind of like low insurance rates. My buddy got pulled over roughly the same area last year right before the speed limit increases to 55 he got nailed 115 in 45 and got away with only a ticket yet the PA website says mandatory suspension 31 over.

Yep it sucks I've had spotless record since '97. Been driving that stretch of road for 5 years and never saw a cop just got too comfortable and wasn't looking for them. Oh well I'll just pay my fine and cross my fingers the points don't make it.