How to get rid of an asshole of a neighbor in New Albany?

Zeppelin

Posting this for a friend on another forum. Here are a couple of his posts so far:

"I have a rental property that is adjacent to my property. There is a group of people living in the house that are loud at all hours of the night, dont take care of the property, and are overall just bad people (i.e. Lengthy criminal record including weapons charges, assault etc...)

I have called the police multiple time to complain. One time it was at 3 am when the were racing their trucks in the back yard. The also made a fake body and put it in the street. It was run over and within minutes several police and fire were tied up because of these idiots.

The police are no help....we can't arrest them because they are annoying you. The HOA is no help because it is not within the subdivision. The landlord is no help because he thinks they are the nicest people. We even offered to pay the rent to him if he would kick them out ($750 a month) and he turned that down.

I'm am completely frustrated. Now I fear for my house and safety. I also heard from the landlord that they might sue me for harassment! Come on!"

" They were full size pickup trucks. I am just worrying about my property. How do you reason with a criminal that does not care about the police or anything else?"

"Just a little update....

Last evening they posted an ad on craigslist listing my name and address saying that I have a free clubhouse and lawnmower. So within a few minutes I had all kinds of people walking around my yard while I was at work. My neighbor saw all what was going on and got everyone out of my yard.

Once I thought I had that under control the animal control shows up. They received a tip that my neighbors dog was running around the neighborhood. which of course it was not. I have no evidence that it was them, but 1+1 = 2, right?

These idiots just make me sick to my stomach."

He has talked to New Albany police, but they don't seem to want to get control of the situation. Here is the thread on our reef club site if anyone wants to see some of the advice given so far http://www.corareef.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12029 He is a laid back dude with a wife and young kid. Doesn't deserve this at all.

Anyone know anybody with New Albany PD that might enjoy rattling their chain? Or have any good ideas that won't land him in jail? ;)

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Agreed. Sounds like the atypical one-sided story.

No one randomly does shit like this to someone, unless they pissed off their neighbors. I would venture to guess this was an argument or something that has blown up out of control.

That being said. The whole fake body, and tying up police time, is a punishable offense, if it can be proven they did it. Doing whatever you want on your property (racing trucks) is completely acceptable. Are they within New Albany City Limits, or is it a township covered by the New Albany police?

If they have over two acres of land they can do what they want and the law is on their side unless they do something very extreme. Even inside franklin county, I checked into it before I moved out of westerville because I was the hick neighbor and wanted to be left alone;-)

Doing whatever you want on your property (racing trucks) is completely acceptable. Are they within New Albany City Limits, or is it a township covered by the New Albany police?

Wrong. A criminal offense is a criminal offense (e.g., racing). There just needs to be proof or the police need to see it.

That is the same reason you can get a ticket for doing a burnout in your driveway.

If your friend gets evidence of them doing anything malicious or harassing against him, he should contact an attorney to file a suit. Have him contact the landlord and list him on the suit as well.

Wrong. A criminal offense is a criminal offense (e.g., racing). There just needs to be proof or the police need to see it.

That is the same reason you can get a ticket for doing a burnout in your driveway.

Umm, those are illegal on public roads, not private.

What? If I want to tear up my yard...I can do it. It is private property.

Same reason you don't need to title or tag a "Farm Vehicle" in the state of Ohio.

As Tractor said, I think the law varies from county to county. I would believe that, the 2 Acre or more policy would be correct for Franklin County. I would imagine if your address is zoned Rural, LDR, R1, or R2 you are pretty much free to do whatever you please.

Same reason you don't need to title or tag a "Farm Vehicle" in the state of Ohio.

As Tractor said, I think the law varies from county to county. I would believe that, the 2 Acre or more policy would be correct for Franklin County.

It has to be zoned "agricultural" to do whatever you want.

Umm, those are illegal on public roads, not private.

Umm, a criminal offense is illegal on public roads and private property.

You can tear up your property if you want, you cannot violate the criminal code and get away with it because it's on your property.

An officer cannot do anything with a civil ticket on your private property, but they can arrest (a non custodial arrest) for criminal violations.

I think Franklin County may call it "rural" zoning now that I think about it, and I am pretty positive it is 5 acres or more unless in a "rural village" or whatever.

Umm, a criminal offense is illegal on public roads and private property.

You can tear up your property if you want, you cannot violate the criminal code and get away with it because it's on your property.

An officer cannot do anything with a civil ticket on your private property, but they can arrest (a non custodial arrest) for criminal violations.

They are criminal to commit on public land.

No person shall participate in street racing upon any public road, street, or highway in this state.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.251

They are criminal to commit on public land.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.251

That's why I didn't use the specific term "street racing". I was talking about the multitude of other charges they can bring when you do that. For example, check ORC 4511.201 as it relates to private property. You can get around things if you set it up right, but I doubt they did based on the description.

That's why I didn't use the specific term "street racing". I was talking about the multitude of other charges they can bring when you do that.

The fact is, it is criminal to do on public streets, not private property, because the ORC states that it is crimnal to race on public roads. There is NOTHING that says it is illegal to race on private property. You said "(eg. racing). Show me something in the ORC that says racing on private land is illegal? You won't.

As for noise, if it is zoned rural, there is no noise violation to be had, but like I said, I am pretty sure that is 5+ acres in Franklin County.

That's why I didn't use the specific term "street racing". I was talking about the multitude of other charges they can bring when you do that. For example, check ORC 4511.201 as it relates to private property. You can get around things if you set it up right, but I doubt they did based on the description.

lol fail

This section does not apply to the competitive operation of vehicles on public or private property when the owner of such property knowingly permits such operation thereon.