computer guru's

TTQ B4U

Question, I have my main home Desktop PC connected to a laser printer and have shared that printer with a laptop in our home. I realize and don't mind that the Desktop PC has to be on and running to print from the laptop. However, every time I wake up and use the laptop, it then in turn wakes up and turns on my Desktop which is in an cabinet that I often keep close. (not good)

Is there anything I can do so that we can use the laptop and no awaking the desktop?

At the Lusaka sewage ponds, two teenage boys plunge their hands into the dark brown sludge, gathering up fistfuls and stuffing it into small plastic bottles. They tap the bottles on the ground, taking care to leave enough room for methane to form at the top. A sour smell rises in the hot sun, but the boys seem oblivious to the stench and the foul nature of their task.

The desktop has to be on for your print sharing setup to work. Only other option is to get a wired/wireless print server. It is a small box you hook into the printer that acts as a network card. Then you just print to the IP address. Microcenter has them.

Print server, or get a router that has print server capability built in.

This. If your laser printer has a network jack on it it has a built in print server.

You can pick one up pretty cheap. im sure ryan can make ya a deal on one.

/thread