Projected deficit threatens Obama's plans

Blitzburgh

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29791927

President Barack Obama's budget would produce $9.3 trillion in deficits over the next decade, an eye-popping figure that threatens his ambitious goals to overhaul health care and explore new energy sources, congressional auditors said.The new Congressional Budget Office figures that emerged Friday offered a far more dire outlook for Obama's budget than the new administration predicted just last month — a deficit $2.3 trillion worse. It's a prospect even the president's own budget director called unsustainable.

In his White House run, Obama assailed the economic policies of his predecessor, President George W. Bush. But the dismal deficit figures, if they prove to be accurate, would amount to more than four times the deficits of Bush's presidency and raise the prospect that Obama and his Democratic allies controlling Congress would have to consider raising taxes after the recession ends.

WHAT? a Dem might have to RAISE taxes..

orly_bush.jpg

But Obama insisted on Friday that his agenda is still on track."What we will not cut are investments that will lead to real growth and prosperity over the long term," Obama said. "That's why our budget makes a historic commitment to comprehensive health care reform. That's why it enhances America's competitiveness by reducing our dependence on foreign oil and building a clean energy economy."

Please someone smack me.. I must be dreaming....

GOT THIS IN AN EMAIL

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.

bill.jpg

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

packet.jpg

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.

pile.jpg

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

pallet.jpg

And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...

pallet_x_10.jpg

Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars. This is that number we've been hearing so much about. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12 zeros.

You ready for this?

It's pretty surprising.

Go ahead...

Scroll down...

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...

pallet_x_10000.jpg

..........(And notice those pallets are double stacked.)..............

So the next time you hear someone toss around the phrase "trillion dollars"... that's what they're talking about.

While this is sarcastic I would like a real answer: who the fuck cares about the defecit? America has been spending WAY more than we have at the Fed level for decades. Can anyone remember when the national debt was not increasing? I can't so who cares? It's not like we have any plans of ever paying that back. It's oddly reminiscent of the housing market and taking out loans we cant afford.

I mean, if the deficit was 100 trillion dollars, would it really matter? They would still pass the budget and still spend it regardless of whether or not they only really had 1 trillion of actual money to spend.

GOT THIS IN AN EMAIL

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S. denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them, slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever they go.

bill.jpg

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

packet.jpg

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it.

pile.jpg

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

pallet.jpg

And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...

pallet_x_10.jpg

Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars. This is that number we've been hearing so much about. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12 zeros.

You ready for this?

It's pretty surprising.

Go ahead...

Scroll down...

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...

pallet_x_10000.jpg

..........(And notice those pallets are double stacked.)..............

So the next time you hear someone toss around the phrase "trillion dollars"... that's what they're talking about.

Our deficit is only ten of those big piles now. lol. I remember liberals bitching when bush landed on an Aircraft Carrier because of the "deficit"... but the first thing Obama told the world was that we couldn't worry about the deficit right now. It's only money though right? I don't need to keep it... just because I MADE IT WITH MY OWN BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS doesn't mean I know how to spend it. :broke:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/19/obama-drops-disputed-vet-medical-plan/

Why was this ever even an idea to generate money? :nono:

"Based on the respect that President Obama has for our nation's veterans and the principled concerns expressed by veterans' leaders, the president has made the decision that the combat-wounded veterans should not be billed through their insurance policies for combat-related injuries,"