Raptor-gate: Ford's response to bent frames

Mallard

If you read the whole article SOME of the trucks had the aftermarket suspension. SOME of the trucks were bent BEFORE the run. They DID do a pre-run. They DID have things marked on a GPS map. The four trucks that Ford says have been reported to them were NOT part of this run. Now if you take the extreme of that you might be able to blame it on the 1 or 2 driver's who WERE on this run, DID have the aftermarket suspension, did NOT pay attention on the pre-run, did NOT download the GPS map, etc. This was not 20 hillbillies out in the desert drinking and playing Ironman. This was a well sanctioned, pay to play event with people who probably weren't riding their first rodeo.

Ford built a truck and advertised it as a great off-road vehicle and it isn't. It has weak points and people that bought the first year find them. It happens with every car. Ford should take care of them and thank them for building the popularity of that package. If they say screw off then no one will buy future models and it will die like every other halfway decent niche car.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this reminds me of that big wheels commercial where those kids did awesome 180 degree turns by pulling up the "emergency brake"- anyone else feel frustrated as a kid after trying that on yours?

Ford should stand behind it but I am not surprised they are not. I question the durability now of all ford trucks- my dad is switching to a 4runner now that they have turned the explorer into an oversized edge/escape.

this reminds me of that big wheels commercial where those kids did awesome 180 degree turns by pulling up the "emergency brake"- anyone else feel frustrated as a kid after trying that on yours?

Ford should stand behind it but I am not surprised they are not. I question the durability now of all ford trucks- my dad is switching to a 4runner now that they have turned the explorer into an oversized edge/escape.

Think twice about the 4runner. My buddy loves his older one, but Consumer Reports was not as happy with the new ones.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/05/test-complete-2010-toyota-4runner.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UjLPMW4Gw&playnext=1&list=PL62B7B93C042821F3

Might be out of context a bit cause I didn't feel like watching 10 commercials, but randommly clicked on one. This video shows a ford rapter driving through a mud puddle at idk maybe 20mph its short and in slow-mo so hard to tell. Either way I'll drive my del sol through a mud puddle at 100mph...

Then it shows a rapter taking a rather steep grade at idk probably under 10mph... I bet that truck lived to see another day. I didn't see the raptor go down a beat up road at 90mph and hit a rather large bump/ditch... Im not even a ford guy got no stake in this, but I really don't think this is ford's responsability. Now if we want to fight about what would be the best marketing decision they should have just fixed the damn trucks and released and added a clause to the owners manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UjLPMW4Gw&playnext=1&list=PL62B7B93C042821F3

Might be out of context a bit cause I didn't feel like watching 10 commercials, but randommly clicked on one. This video shows a ford rapter driving through a mud puddle at idk maybe 20mph its short and in slow-mo so hard to tell. Either way I'll drive my del sol through a mud puddle at 100mph...

Then it shows a rapter taking a rather steep grade at idk probably under 10mph... I bet that truck lived to see another day. I didn't see the raptor go down a beat up road at 90mph and hit a rather large bump/ditch... Im not even a ford guy got no stake in this, but I really don't think this is ford's responsability. Now if we want to fight about what would be the best marketing decision they should have just fixed the damn trucks and released and added a clause to the owners manual.

i would certainly agree that from a 'right or wrong' standpoint, its most definitely the owners fault for abusing the truck. regardless, sometimes when you want to run a successful business, you occasionally have to do things that don't always make sense financially in the short run----like doing $20k in repairs to trucks that are being misused. from a marketing standpoint, you're right, this looks bad for ford. out of the millions of people who have been made familiar with the issue, and have heard about ford's response----do you think anyone has said to themselves "wow, based on this information, i really need to buy myself a new ford truck"??

I have a hard time believing anything that Ford says when it regards a potential warranty issue. I have on numerous occasions fought (and won) with the Ford warranty department and their engineers about the fuel system on the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstrokes. They are quick to point the finger at the consumer. I have paid for several outside tests that all backed my beliefs up. Once they were presented with the results, they ended up giving in. However with that being said, it is a business and they do need to stand their ground in order to keep a positive cash flow rolling in. If I paid the $60k or whatever those trucks cost, I would not be happy. I will look in one of the owner’s manuals and see if I can post more details on what the suggested uses of the Raptor are.