Doing some research .40 or .45?

AC66Bronco

I have heard conflicting stories from some people.

What I do know and what makes sense to me is that while the .45 is a bigger round the .40 is a faster round. Where does velocity and size come together to cancel each other out? Or doesn’t it?

What are your view points on kick back of each round?

I would google it but it is blocked at work under weapons :mad:

Just looking for something to have a lil fun with (responsibly) and if needed protection.

I like both! I recently bought my first 40sw handgun and the extra ammo is nice, but I feel just fine with 7+1 45acp too. Oh, and as far as felt recoil goes I can barely tell the difference between the two rounds in question. It's really dependant on the gun its coming out of.

Maybe get a 10mm?

If you compare the Glock and Springfield XD pistols in .40 and .45, I think you'll find that the .45 is slightly more comfortable to shoot when it comes to recoil. The .40 is a little "snappy" where the .45 is more like a "push," if that makes sense. I would imagine that this also is the case with other pistols in these calibers.

Edit: that said...I have a G23 (.40) for self defense.

how common is the 10mm tho?

this will be my first handgun so i want to make a good choice. idk maybe i am foolishly sentimental but i probably will never get rid of it. just like my bronco

want something powerful but also concealable obviously most .45 chambered guns are hard to cc.

I have fired plenty of guns before just not to many hand guns. Now before someone says get to the range and try some I fully plan on doing so. I am just trying to start narrowing down my search.

ty to all that have replied so far

.40 is to snappy get the .45

if it's your first handgun then get a 9mm so you can afford to shoot it. The best round in the world doesn't mean shit if it can't hit it's target. now if you can afford to shoot the more expensive round then more power to ya. i have already shot 3000+ rounds this year and i havn't been shooting that much at all. oh and don't waste to much time on paper targets practive timing yourself on multiple steel plate, especially if your going to ccw.

If it's your first gun and you want to carry go with a 9mm. I have a sub compact 9 and I wouldn't want anything larger. You can shoot 50 rounds for 12 dollars a box, you'll spend 20 a box for a .40 or .45.

If I were to choose between a .40 and a .45, I'd go .45 just because of the recoil and snap mentioned in a few posts above. A single stack compact .45 is more than enough for a carry.

If it's your first gun and you want to carry go with a 9mm. I have a sub compact 9 and I wouldn't want anything larger. You can shoot 50 rounds for 12 dollars a box, you'll spend 20 a box for a .40 or .45.

If I were to choose between a .40 and a .45, I'd go .45 just because of the recoil and snap mentioned in a few posts above. A single stack compact .45 is more than enough for a carry.

I think you need to shop a little better for .40 ammo if your paying $20 a box. But it is obviously more expensive, not that much thought. For me .40s&w is a good balance round, decent accuracy and power with high capacity options. And to me the round isn't that expensive. It's my only handgun caliber and I wouldn't change.

There's not a single person in this thread that could tell the difference if they were shot with a 9mm, 40, or .45, given they were hit with proper ammo. All make a sufficient hole. All have an adequate amount of penetration. All will kill a person just as good as the other.

Decide what you want the gun for.

Decide how many rounds you'd realistically like to carry.

Shoot some to find out how you like the recoil of each.

There's not a single person in this thread that could tell the difference if they were shot with a 9mm, 40, or .45, given they were hit with proper ammo. All make a sufficient hole. All have an adequate amount of penetration. All will kill a person just as good as the other.

Decide what you want the gun for.

Decide how many rounds you'd realistically like to carry.

Shoot some to find out how you like the recoil of each.

Agreed.

Personally, I have a always had a natural slant toward big bore guns (I still do). I have owned an assortment of .40 and .45 pistols. They're not always the most practical choice for daily carry though, depending on how you intend to use them. In the end I chose a very small gun in 9mm. It conceals easily and is cheaper to practice with, which translates to a greater likelihood that I will actually carry it and be proficient with it. That's not to say that I think .40 is a big caliber, I'm just saying that sometimes good enough is... good enough.

Even if it's just going to be a range gun, it is hard to beat the 9mm in terms of price per round (excluding the obvious .22LR, etc).