Droid Fags: Vanilla vs. Sense

Bigbird

Ok, so the ROM bug has officially bitten me. I've been on 3 different ROMs this week. BAMF Ginger Remix 2.1, then the new Gingeritis 3D, and BAMF Ginger Stripped 2.1. I'm back on Gingeritis 3D which is a Sense 3.0 ROM with a 3D simulated mod. Ginger Stripped is a vanilla Andriod "style" ROM, with some Sense bits left over. I'm so used to Sense that I quickly switched back to Gingertitis (plus the HTC trace keyboard is fun to play with haha).

I've also downloaded CM7, but haven't tried it yet. Basically I want to know if there's anything I'm missing by using Sense. I've heard that CM7 is extremely customizable from the phone itself, maybe I misunderstood.

sounds like you have a thunderbolt?

either way, I love CM7 on my Evo

Ah, yeah. Haha probably should have mentioned that. I do have a Thunderbolt. What's so great about CM7 though? I honestly don't know, all I've ever used is Sense, and pretty normal Sense at that, no themes or anything. So I'm used to their layout and widgets. I hear battery life is one of the big positives of CM7, as well as no bloat (something I don't really have to worry about with custom ROMs and Sense).

I liked CM7, and was on a ROM called Senseless for a while. Now I'm on Konis Elite, which is a Sense ROM, I really dig it. Of course I'm sure I'll end up flashing something else soon enough.

nerd

Beers. ASAP. And dog play date. Although I know my pup is a pussy and Harley will scare the shit out of her hahaha.

I liked CM7, and was on a ROM called Senseless for a while. Now I'm on Konis Elite, which is a Sense ROM, I really dig it. Of course I'm sure I'll end up flashing something else soon enough.

Do elaborate, por favor.

Cm7 is really clean and streamlined. No extra garbage or hard to read fonts and colors just to be different. Better lock screen IMO, which is a huge plus for me. Can't use the HTC clock and weather widget. Stock gb keyboard. Different launcher, forget the name right now.

Just do research and make sure everything works for your phone. I had a hell of a time getting my GPS to work but now I wont bother with anything else

Been rocking CM7 with SwiftKey X keyboard now for over two months. Longest i've ever been on a non stock rom and I don't have any real complaints other than its not nearly as pretty as the sense roms

Vanilla is the way to go. I ran CM7 for a while, but went back to tweaked stock 2.3.4 (2.3.5 here soon) because I still prefer the stock launcher, and CM7 has a billion customizations that I don't need. If they make an AOSP rom for the Thunderbolt, I'd go with that. I just flashed an AOSP rom on my brother's Droid X, big difference in ease of use and speed.

Exactly why I am not rooting my EVO 3D. You know how much time I've given myself back from browsing XDA and other Droid forums looking for roms and mods.

Oh, Sense all the way!

the only reason i haven't rooted my Evo 3D is because they haven't released the damn S-Off hack yet. as soon as we have that and a working recovery, this phone will be Rom'd up!

the phone is already blisteringly fast, but i can't wait to see the battery and speed difference a non-sense rom makes

I haven't noticed a difference in battery life with sense vs vanilla. I like the sense lock screen too much to not use a sense rom. Most of the time I unlock my phone it is to take a picture or to send a text message. It is really nice to just drag the text icon into the ring instead of unlocking, then pulling down my status bar, then clicking on the text message.

Does anyone know how to change the programs that it can launch? It would be nice to have an icon for google chat.

I haven't noticed a difference in battery life with sense vs vanilla. I like the sense lock screen too much to not use a sense rom. Most of the time I unlock my phone it is to take a picture or to send a text message. It is really nice to just drag the text icon into the ring instead of unlocking, then pulling down my status bar, then clicking on the text message.

Does anyone know how to change the programs that it can launch? It would be nice to have an icon for google chat.

Under personalize, lock screen settings. You can change any of the 4 icons and programs it launches.

I'm not understanding what is so funny in your posts that you must post "haha" in every post?

Alcohol is a hell of a drug. Be glad I had coherent spelling :lolguy: Sorry for partying?

And thanks for the insight everyone. I'll mess around with it some more and try out each (Vanilla and CM7). I can always flash back I suppose.

It is pretty neat I like the eye candy :fa:

Yeah, I've been wanting to try it but it requires me to partition my SD card to run it on my phone :fuuuu:

I have a feeling that I'm going to go through all the trouble and end up not liking it. The visuals does look cool though.

Yeah, I've been wanting to try it but it requires me to partition my SD card to run it on my phone :fuuuu:

I have a feeling that I'm going to go through all the trouble and end up not liking it. The visuals does look cool though.

Try one that has the "3D" setting if you can. It's cool to show off, gets a little annoying though. You can always turn it off in settings.

Stop being gay and try it :dumb: