Tips for executing skunks within city limits?

Guest Hal

Two of my dogs just got sprayed about 30 mins ago and this is a week after the neighbor's dog got sprayed. I know there is a family of skunks living close to my property, so how can I take care of them?

Will a .17 pellet rifle do the trick? If yes, how do I bait them? What do I do with the body after the kill so they don't spray?

ITT: Complete hunting noob, who has never even killed a gopher, wants to kill skunks.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Probly a trap that lures them in and then closes behind them. Might take a few trys to get the skunk, more than likely you'll catch a cat or raccoon. That's the best way tho. Then shoot in face with 12g. Should put it down quick and humane.

I have traps for cats and coons, but I can't really use that option for the skunk. I live in Uptown Westerville just a couple blocks from the police station, so a 12g, .45, etc... isn't going to work.

The ones I find out here are super slow. So I just walk up behind them and turn thier heads inside out with my .45

Maybe some other resident hunters can give you an idea as to what food to try. Cat food, fish eggs, Cat food/poop/fish egg combo?

Why can't you use that for a skunk? It's just a smaller, smellier striped cat.

I can use the traps, but what then? I'm pretty sure someone is going to notice when I blast the thing into oblivion in my yard. That would be perfect for somewhere where I could discharge a weapon without going to jail.

You could possibly use a trap, and put some food inside that would attract the skunk. Not sure what kind of food that would be, but whatever it is you could then put rat poison or pesticide or something in the food. Executing a skunk isn't really humane no matter how you look at it, but I guess this could be one of the slightly more humane ways of accomplishing that.

You could possibly use a trap' date=' and put some food inside that would attract the skunk. Not sure what kind of food that would be, but whatever it is you could then put rat poison or pesticide or something in the food. Executing a skunk isn't really humane no matter how you look at it, but I guess this could be one of the slightly more humane ways of accomplishing that.[/quote']

Would do that, except for the pet cats roaming around. I'm trying to be very selective in my executions, things are neater that way.

Will a .17 pellet rifle do the trick?

I'd prefer it be semi-humane, I've never been a fan of drowning.

Yeah, as said, no pellet gun with be quick and human. .22 might depending on the shot.

1) Get some fruit, apples tend to work.

2) Poke holes with screwdriver, knife, pen, etc.

3) Soke for a couple of hours in antifreeze.

4) Set out and let a skunk win a Darwin award.

5) No clue on removal so...good luck with this step.

6) Profit.

Oh....if you have any pets or kids that would eat poisoned apples this may not work.

Trap it and relocate it.

Or be a pussy.

Of course we already know which option you'll choose.

Tell me how to relocate and I'm fine with that. What should I use to cover the trap so my car doesn't smell like skunk for a year?