Beaver Run vs. Grattan...advice only IF you've been on the track please. :)

PrincessPratt

I've been going back and forth via email with Bonnie from sportbiketracktime this last month and I finally think I have my days narrowed down.

Has anyone ever been to beaver run or Grattan raceway parks for track days? It looks like grattan will be more forgiving for me thus I kinda want to sign up on May 30/31. I know its a long drive (used to drive it all the time with my ex when he did track days) but I really don't have the vacation time to do it during the week at mid ohio. Plus I want to do this in may in case I really like the track and can actually learn to lean my bike. LOL. Then I can schedule a few more weekends over the summer/fall.

If you've been here how do you like the tracks? Also is anyone going to be at Grattan during this time? Garrett (shitty) I called Kristen to see if she wanted to tag along so REMIND her to call me when she wakes up or gets off work!

This is getting expensive too! :broke:

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Wait for Lizard to reply about the tracks.. You do realize that mid ohio will have weekend events right? Not only is it closer but its a top notch facility to learn at.

Aaron there are no weekends in May or June. I would prefer going there BUT the lack of weekend availability means I will be going somewhere else. http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/schedule2009.html

SATURDAY & SUNDAY

APRIL 25th -26th, 2009

Event Time 2pm to Dusk on Track by 2:15 - Lunch not Provided

To Register for a PTR at Mid Ohio

Visit www.midohioschool.com or call Mid Ohio Toll Free 1-877-793-8667

OK so there were none in may but I guess I could do the one in April BUT it's in the evening. I wonder how much of a time difference on the track there will be???? Does this mean I have to schedule through Mid Ohio???

thats a real hard call. Beaver is smooth clean and well kept and has the more profesional feel. Grattan is bumpy,dirty and has allot of crazy off cambered turns. Thats a real hard call,but if you learn to ride grattan you will be a great rider at other tracks. My vote i guess would be grattan as i broke my arm at beaver....

OK so there is actually some days the same weekend at Bluegrass. Anyone been on that track? I'm having a hard time finding the location. It looks like it's a bit below cinci.

This is the first year bluegrass is open.. no one has been on it yet.

BeaveRun is fun, fast, nice facilities, somewhat close... but can get boring as you can go around the track in around 1 minute!

I haven't been to Grattan, but like Gixxie750 said, I've heard it was techanical but bumpy.

Bluegrass just opened (or it will next month) this year, so it is a new track, but it LOOKS SWEET!!!!

Beaver is boring and a basic layout. Doesn't offer much in terms of technical that you can take to other facilities.

Grattan is VERY similar to Mid-Ohio in that it offers blind turns, off camber, technical areas, etc. The pavement is a bit bad, but Beaver's sucks as well...

Both are good, but Grattan is a better choice for a rider in terms of track layout and offerings. If you want easy to learn and easy to ride, Beaver it is...

Go to Mid-Ohio and wait for the weekend dates. Or, get a day off. You'll understand why.

If not, BG is the top choice. You'll drive the same distance and I can guarantee it will be the best track out of the bunch. Probably a toe to toe with Mid-Ohio. Maybe better in some regards. We won't know for sure until April...

My vote is this:

Weekends? Wait for Mid-Ohio. Travel costs are lower and off sets that higher cost than driving 4 plus hours one way... If not able to wait and you have to drive 4 plus hours, choose BG.

If you have settled on Grattan or Beaver, by all means choose Grattan... Hands down.

Grattan and forgiving....two words I never thought I'd hear in the same sentence...lol

Yeah, exactly. Beaver is so damn easy and basic that my mom could probably cut easy laps there. Grattan is challenging in MANY regards. Offers a lot of great things to a rider that will carry over to other tracks.

I always find it funny though when you talk about how tough a track is and hard it is to "master" and they get scared and choose the easier tracks. Learning a tough and challenging track will allow you to be better at other facilities. If you can ride Mid-Ohio fast and well, you can ride anywhere well. Same for Grattan... Except most tracks have better surfaces...:D Nah, it isn't that bad. It sure as shit isn't Nelson...

Yeah, exactly. Beaver is so damn easy and basic that my mom could probably cut easy laps there. Grattan is challenging in MANY regards. Offers a lot of great things to a rider that will carry over to other tracks.

I always find it funny though when you talk about how tough a track is and hard it is to "master" and they get scared and choose the easier tracks. Learning a tough and challenging track will allow you to be better at other facilities. If you can ride Mid-Ohio fast and well, you can ride anywhere well. Same for Grattan... Except most tracks have better surfaces...:D Nah, it isn't that bad. It sure as shit isn't Nelson...

Beaver is easy - compared to Grattan or Mid Ohio - but ride a big bike there and it'll flat wear you the fuck out. I remember an STT day there are couple of years ago with my old 01 1000. Too damn hot....I was ruined for week after that.

I still think that a track like Beaver with less technical turns and a shorter front straight is better for a noob. If nothing else it allows them to get comfortable in a "track environment" without throwing too much difficulty at them too soon. Grattan is interesting, but there are a LOT of places to get in BIG trouble. The camber change going into the bowl, the bus stop, the looooooooooooong front straight...

I dunno...I think for my first track day I'd rather do Beaver. On a little bike.

Beaver is easy - compared to Grattan or Mid Ohio - but ride a big bike there and it'll flat wear you the fuck out. I remember an STT day there are couple of years ago with my old 01 1000. Too damn hot....I was ruined for week after that.

I still think that a track like Beaver with less technical turns and a shorter front straight is better for a noob. If nothing else it allows them to get comfortable in a "track environment" without throwing too much difficulty at them too soon. Grattan is interesting, but there are a LOT of places to get in BIG trouble. The camber change going into the bowl, the bus stop, the looooooooooooong front straight...

I dunno...I think for my first track day I'd rather do Beaver. On a little bike.

100% on the money. Hell, the 750 wore my ass out up at Grattan let alone this fucking 1000... Mid-Ohio wears you out, too. I think Beaver is a good choice for the first timer, too...

100% on the money. Hell, the 750 wore my ass out up at Grattan let alone this fucking 1000... Mid-Ohio wears you out, too. I think Beaver is a good choice for the first timer, too...

Quit being a wuss....

Those new high zoot 1000's are like riding a 600.

Sack up, man....:D

Nobody is throwing putnam out there for an amazing beginers track?

A nice front straight leading into a very forgiving turn one in case you miss a breaking mark (I know this for a fact :)) a very easy track configuration to learn and a couple complicating corners and a good amount of easier corners to help a new track rider to not feel overwhelmed.... I mean it's not going to compare to a mid-Ohio bluegrass or from what I hear a grattan but I don't think it would have to from a new trackdayers stanpoint. It's not the most complicated place in the world and I will admit after two days in a row there I was ready to go home and take what I learned there to mid-ohio but I did learn a lot there vs my two days at mid-Ohio. Mostly because I didn't feel any bit intimidated there, it was just a track I could just have fun at, and not worry which of the three lines would be best through the key hold, or how I should enter/exit the carousel, or even how I should hold mid-corner speed through the corner. Putnam is a straight forward track where you really don't have to worry about such things, you go run your lines and have fun.

Nobody is throwing putnam out there for an amazing beginers track?

Not picking nits, or bashing Putnam (or the fans of Putnam), but the OP was asking for opinions of Beaver vs. Grattan.

There are several tracks within driving distance of most of Ohio that are great fun, and they all present their individual challenges, etc.

I think one thing that should be said here that princess hasnt stated is that she will be riding in Novice and somewhere near the rear of the Novice groupings.

Aaron....everyone should know by the multiple times I've posted about track days that the ENTIRE reason I'm doing these is to get over my fear of cornering. The only time I'm in the back of the pack is on twisties. I'm not scared of speed but of leaning my bike and trusting it enough to not cross the median and kill myself.

If this is my FIRST track day which everyone is well aware they know the rules that I have to be in novice.

And FYI, I just saw Shawna about 30 minutes ago and tried her to go with me. No go until after she's done with school. :(

Besides I've decided I will try the bluegrass on May 30, 31st. SO if anyone wants to go let me know!!!!