Barking dog

blue98ls1

Lettuce talk about the elephant in the room, exercise. Is the dog being walked every night? Are you doing anything mental or physical to drain his energy levels?

Hey gets enough exercise running back on forth while on the chain outside and chewing on jugs. I mean really, what else could a dog need? :dumb:

On a more serious note, yes, physical workouts are very important. It's even better when training is incorporated as that will tire the dog out mentally as well. The dog will actually have to think and pay attention while being exercised.

Hey gets enough exercise running back on forth while on the chain outside and chewing on jugs. I mean really, what else could a dog need? :dumb:

On a more serious note, yes, physical workouts are very important. It's even better when training is incorporated as that will tire the dog out mentally as well. The dog will actually have to think and pay attention while being exercised.

I agree 100%.

He's still a pup, about 30 mins worth of training per day will likely wear him out mentally. Work on the basic commands (sit, down, stay, wait, etc...) with him and take him for a walk every day. I'd be willing to be a lot of his issues go away.

The one thing that seems to be an issue even with exercise and training is barking. I still suggest an e-collar because it allows you to give a correction during the activity so he knows to stop. Combine this with a verbal command and you should be getting rid of the problems pretty quickly.

I agree 100%.

He's still a pup, about 30 mins worth of training per day will likely wear him out mentally. Work on the basic commands (sit, down, stay, wait, etc...) with him and take him for a walk every day. I'd be willing to be a lot of his issues go away.

The one thing that seems to be an issue even with exercise and training is barking. I still suggest an e-collar because it allows you to give a correction during the activity so he knows to stop. Combine this with a verbal command and you should be getting rid of the problems pretty quickly.

Right on. I had a client that had a 5 month old little terrier mix. One of the highest energy pups I have ever seen. My clients roomats would take the dog on a jog for like 40 minutes and come back and the pup was still ripping around the apartment like a nutcase. I took her a few times for boarding and obedience training. I usually do a couple 15 minute training session throughout the day depending on the dog. Some can take more session or longer sessions, some can't. But anyway, after a 15 minute obedience session, the dog was pooped. I would put her in her crate, let the session soak in, and I wouldn't hear another peep out of her until I cam back to do another session with her. She was more wore out after 15 minutes of concentration than 40 minutes of mindless running.

Also, as for e-collars, I am not opposed to them at all. There are many different ways to use them and if done properly as with most tools out there, they are excellent training tools. It's just thatI see a lot of people buy a collar, strap it on and just start shocking the dog. The dog starts off confused at what is going on. Then the dog eventually learns, I bark and I get stimmed. So maybe I won't bark. But in that scenario, the dog is not barking because of the stim, not because you don't want it to. Whereas if you actually train a dog and open that line of communication, the dog correlates "no" with the stim so the dog understands through the training that the correction is issued by you, not some "mystical-out-of-nothingness." Besides, if you can give a verbal correction along with a physical one, you can also give verbal and physical praise when the dog exhibits behavior that is desireable. If life is all corrections, life sucks. If life is a balance of corrections and praise properly applied, life can be fullfilling as you have accomplishments.

I have done a decent amount of training when he doesn't fall asleep. He will walk on the leash without pulling, sit, stay with us without running off without a leash, he is crate trained. He is learning some other basics as well, but he also falls asleep during training. Once he is with people he is one of the calmest, nicest dogs in the world.

We moved him to another location in the backyard while being tied up, basically so that he can be with our other big dog and Echo is keeping him in line, the barking has dramatically decreased. He seems to be extremely attached to the "alpha dog".

Edited by wannaraceLS1

I have done a decent amount of training when he doesn't fall asleep. He will walk on the leash without pulling, sit, stay with us without running off without a leash, he is crate trained. He is learning some other basics as well, but he also falls asleep during training. Once he is with people he is one of the calmest, nicest dogs in the world.

We moved him to another location in the backyard while being tied up, basically so that he can be with our other big dog and Echo is keeping him in line, the barking has dramatically decreased. He seems to be extremely attached to the "alpha dog".

One thing to think about is that you can spur some aggression by having him tied up and the others running free. That really comes down to if the dog is getting nervous or not.

Try some of the suggestions in this thread and you'll probably see things get better.

Anthony, I got my e-collars on ebay for a pretty good price. Try that if you want to get one.

Titan died? :(

The dog has tasks ranging from chewing on things to barking. He just needs attention 24/7, he's one of those types.

Yes, he passed away Dec. 30, 2010. It's been one of the hardest things I've ever dealt with and I've dealt with some shit. Im still having a bit of a problem with it and think moving would help. Ive never been with another living thing, including my own mother, for as long as I was with that dog. I still have that pic from that Cbus meet 5 or so yrs ago on my fridge.

I agree with most that has been said. I used to have 2 of the worst behaved dogs anyone could ever imagine, they were into everything, they dug holes all over the yard, they would tear, chew and bark at EVERYTHING....

The 2 things that helped enormously with my dogs.... the barking stopped the moment I put the bark collars on them... the low levels are a joke, but it starts at beeping, then low levels, then moves it's way up.... after a day of the collar, no more barking... I took the collars off, haven't needed them sense... if they ever start getting out of line, all I need to do is show them to them, and they are both at my heel and will sit and wait for me to give them a command. The other thing I did was I stopped chaining them up and allowed them to have other methods to get out their energy. Now they are never chained up and stay in my yard, they never leave except first thing in the morning, they will run to the neighbors pond, jump in then come right back (they might do it a few times throughout the day, but I have no idea) When I call them, they come right in, and want to lay with us and no get all crazy, or will go straight down stairs and lay down on their beds.

The best thing I ever did was give them the ability to get out their energy.