This is why we can't have nice things.

CRed05

Because of the US's stupid homologation laws.

Johan De Nysschen, CEO of Audi North America had a Q&A on a forum, here are some of the things he said that I find interesting:

"As for why Australia can sell more models offered in Europe, it is because the vehicles sold there are more in line with European homologation requirements, while the US has many unique homologation regulations."

"The reason we haven't brought the A5 Sportback to the US market is that the US standards require more rear seat headroom for occupants which would require a completely new roofline and would obviously ruin the look of the A5 Sportback. Instead, we decided to consolidate our product offering around the A7."

"Regarding transmission... enthusiasts like you and I prefer manual transmissions, but unfortunately we constitute the minority. Most people that spend more then $50k for a car prefer an automatic."

"You will be pleased to know that we will expand our diesel offering to include some sedan models. You can expect to see the A8 and a bit later the A6 and the next generation A3 sedan with TDI clean diesel in addition to the Q5 and Q7.

To meet US emission regulations, we specially developed the engine used in the current A3 and we are able to comply with the regulations without the need for expensive exhaust treatment measures such as Adblue urea injection as used in the Q7. If we were to introduce quattro to the A3 TDI, the additional weight of the quattro drive system in conjunction with a full passenger complement and loaded luggage compartment, then under certain operating conditions such as full throttle acceleration on an incline it cannot be guaranteed that the A3 TDI would meet emission requirements without resorting to the urea injection system. If we were to add the urea injection system, we would need to modify the floor pan of the car to accomodate the exhaust system and the urea tank, which in turn would mean new crash tests and new development to comply with homologation. At this late stage of the life cycle it wouldn't be feasible.

Our research suggests that an A4 with the V6 TDI engine would have limited sales potential due to the high price that will result from this combination. We will look at the next generation A4 for a 2.0 Liter TDI version."

"The S3 and RS 3 are not offered in this market for homologation reasons."

It's amazing that we are getting the short end of the stick because of stupid things like rear headroom requirements and the whole reason why the A3 TDI can't get Quattro is just ridiculous.

Here is something that would be cool...

"I would be interested to learn if Audi supporters would be interested to see a local equivelant of the European DTM Series as a fully fledged full season racing program on the US calendar?"

DTM is coming to America for a race.

Is the A5 sportback doesn't have enough rear seat head room, then how do things like the BMW X6 and Acura ZDX get made? The A5 must be pretty cramped.

That sucks about the reasons we don't get a quattro diesel, and it's funny because a guy at work and I were just talking about this. The key words are that 'it'e too late in the life cycle to make sense.' That means I would look for it on the next model. Also, I'm surprised at the reason because you'd think they could tune around it if it's just extreme high load situations.

Actually, European countries have the tallest people.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-tallest-countries_10.html

We won't argue on which country has the most fat fucks, but either way, that should not be a requirement. If you can't fit, buy another car instead of just straight up banning it...stupid.

We won't argue on which country has the most fat fucks, but either way, that should not be a requirement. If you can't fit, buy another car instead of just straight up banning it...stupid.

It's not a matter of fitting. It is a matter of safety. You buy the car and then you and your buddies decide to run to the store. You have the only 4-door so everyone piles in. It's a little cramped but it is only a 5 minute drive no big deal. BAM!!! Some idiot blows a stop sign and hits you causing the car to roll over as it hits the curb. Everyone piles out...wait where is Joe... there he lays in the backseat head crushed and neck broken.

I'm sure that was the intent, safety, but I think it's crap. There are a ton more factors that are involved, it's not just headroom. I guarantee you that the A5 sportback is safer than a vast majority of "legal" cars over here. Let's roll a smart car and then an A5 and see who comes out in better shape.

WE KNOW WHO BE FATTIES :)

"Internet fanboys buy 15 year old Audis. We don't see a dime from those sales. Rich 65 year old white guys buy new Audis. So, fuck you, internet fanboys. We're building cars for the people who actually give us money."

Which means mid-size sedans and SUVs with automatic transmissions and cheap gas engines. Just like every one else trying to make money selling new cars in this country. Aside from the A5 sportback, every other car on that list isn't here because they don't think they can make a profit on it, because the people who actually buy new don't want sporty or fun. If they thought there'd be enough demand, they would pony up for the crash tests and minor engineering changes.

But "quit your whining you cheap-asses" isn't good for business, so he blames the gubmint like everyone else.

"Internet fanboys buy 15 year old Audis. We don't see a dime from those sales. Rich 65 year old white guys buy new Audis. So, fuck you, internet fanboys. We're building cars for the people who actually give us money."

Which means mid-size sedans and SUVs with automatic transmissions and cheap gas engines. Just like every one else trying to make money selling new cars in this country. Aside from the A5 sportback, every other car on that list isn't here because they don't think they can make a profit on it, because the people who actually buy new don't want sporty or fun. If they thought there'd be enough demand, they would pony up for the crash tests and minor engineering changes.

But "quit your whining you cheap-asses" isn't good for business, so he blames the gubmint like everyone else.

You've got it wrong in a few ways. First, these questions were asked by people who own new Audi's, including someone with an R8, who want a sporty Avant as DD's because they don't want an SUV, ie Q7.

He doesn't just blame it on the government, he mentioned that American's don't like fast Avant's, and actually uses the CTS-V wagon as an example, and that only enthusiasts here like manuals. If the US didn't have these dumbass laws, making all models available wouldn't be a problem. It's because of these laws, that they have to redesign certain models, and they can only do that to models that are popular. It's also because of these laws that diesel cars are so damn expensive here. Go anywhere outside of the Americas and you will notice how everything is diesel and manual.

What it boils down to, is that the majority of American car buyers are fucktards and ruining it for the rest. I need to go live in Europe. :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

This is the same reason why I couldn't buy a diesel discovery/LR3. So now instead of getting 30MPG, I'm getting 15.

What it boils down to, is that the majority of American car buyers are fucktards and ruining it for the rest. I need to go live in Europe. :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

This is exactly what I'm saying. He blames the gov't, but it's really your neighbors. Fucktards.

I haven't bought a new car since 2004 and I probably never will again, so I'm part of the problem, even though I have a Mazda5 with a manual. Some poor Mazda dealership probably sold it at a loss the first time around just to get the thing off the lot and then I bought it used, pleased as shit with myself, meanwhile not helping the situation at all.

ETA: I found the thread in question, and yeah, the forum is a bit more high-end than I first pictured. Plenty of people buying S6 Avants and whatnot. But I also feel like everyone in the US who actually bought an S6 Avant was present in that thread. All 2 of them.

lol, true story.

I've never bought a brand new car, and probably never will so I guess I'm not helping either. I will however buy a 1 year old car, so that takes the "old" car off the hands of the people who do buy new cars, and I believe in buying OEM parts, so I do contribute in that way :)

If the Audi A1 TDI Quattro was available today, and I could afford it, I'd probably buy it.

lol, true story.

I've never bought a brand new car, and probably never will so I guess I'm not helping either. I will however buy a 1 year old car, so that takes the "old" car off the hands of the people who do buy new cars, and I believe in buying OEM parts, so I do contribute in that way :)

If the Audi A1 TDI Quattro was available today, and I could afford it, I'd probably buy it.

Yeah, you no doubt contribute to their bottom line, but you don't contribute in a way that gives you any say in what cars they produce, unfortunately. And neither do I. Even if someone made the perfect car -- say, a RWD 6 speed 250hp 4-cylinder 2200 lb 5 seat compact wagon with sporting intentions and not a lot of bells and whistles, I'd still wait for some other chump to eat the depreciation. The financial incentive is too strong not to, even though I know damn well that it's not in my own best interest as an enthusiast.

Unfortunately, every other enthusiast has the same plan, which would make this magical car pure poison to a dealer. Which... surprise! is exactly what happens to every enthusiast car ever made. R32 anyone?

I'm sure that was the intent, safety, but I think it's crap. There are a ton more factors that are involved, it's not just headroom. I guarantee you that the A5 sportback is safer than a vast majority of "legal" cars over here. Let's roll a smart car and then an A5 and see who comes out in better shape.

took this picture last weekend at the american club in kohler, wisconsin.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/609/audisu.jpg

couple of A7's not pictured, look pretty decent. just not fast enough for my taste.

carry on with all the emo-talk about wanting to move out of the country just to buy a gay-ass car :dumb:

Well then what you need is an S7

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/generated//Events/Frankfurt%20IAA/2011/Audi%20S7/002__scaled_600.jpg

twin turbo V8 goodness

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/generated//Events/Frankfurt%20IAA/2011/Audi%20S7/001__scaled_600.jpg

still doesn't have the power that my caddy has^^

but i have to admit, its a sharp car. part of my problem involves living an hour away from the dealership. logistically, its just a pain to have to take the car in for anything, when i live so far away. we'll see. i've given the 'general' a lot of business over the last couple years. my next car will likely be something a bit more upscale.

No it doesn't have the power your Caddy has in the S7. That motor in the S8 is making 520hp though, and it will only be a matter of time before a flash tune will be available. My guess will be that it should put you in the 600hp range no problem.

then you would bitch about everything else, and not make enough to buy the car you left to buy..

and no true audi fan would compare them to a smart car. at least be smart and pick something in the same clas.

It was just an example. I don't think it needs to be in the same class, if it's unsafe in a roll test, it's unsafe in a roll test. Just because a car is cheaper, smaller and in a different class doesn't give it the right to be less safe.

It was just an example. I don't think it needs to be in the same class, if it's unsafe in a roll test, it's unsafe in a roll test. Just because a car is cheaper, smaller and in a different class doesn't give it the right to be less safe.

Stop being an audifag.

wait

:fa:

Yes, the US Gov and the rest of the "citizens" who are interested in pointing the blame at someone else for anything that happens in life, file lawsuits because they can't support themselves, and are generally low class scum (and the treehuggers at the EPA) definitely prevent us from getting the good vehicles. Pisses me off too.

I want all the bad ass diesel SUVs over here, among other things.

Too many soccer moms planting gardens and nothing more in this f'in country.

Yes, the US Gov and the rest of the "citizens" who are interested in pointing the blame at someone else for anything that happens in life, file lawsuits because they can't support themselves, and are generally low class scum (and the treehuggers at the EPA) definitely prevent us from getting the good vehicles. Pisses me off too.

I want all the bad ass diesel SUVs over here, among other things.

Too many soccer moms planting gardens and nothing more in this f'in country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsStoFUydfA

:megusta: