Pre=emptive head gasket replacement?

zeitgeist57

I'm refreshing a 240k+ mile Ford 300ci Inline six for my '82 F100. The Mr. Gasket kit includes every gasket for the engine, and since I have it out on a stand I figure to replace everything now.

I haven't done a compression check yet, but the engine runs really well and barring anything terrible, should I be comfortable pulling the head to replace the head gasket just as a precaution? Thanks...

I would think that while it's out I would change every gasket I could. For that matter I probably would take the head to a machine shop and have it cleaned up. I assume at a minimum it could use new valve springs and oil seals, but you won't know any more until the head is off.

Oh, and another +1 for Felpro

Edited by Richard Cranium
Felpro

if your at 240k and the motor is out of the truck you might as well change the rings and the bearings while you have it torn down..... kind of a waste if you don't

Yeaaaahhh....but then I need to machine the block and check clearances and blah blah blah :)

Here's my options for a $100 engine after removing what's not necessary:

1) Swap on the 1982 parts and run it as-is. Or...

2) Invest $120 in gaskets/parts and run it as is. (DING! DING! DING!)

3) Invest $300 in rebuild kit, do it myself surely getting some things wrong.

4) Invest $1000 in fully rebuilt engine. Kill my budget for other things...

It's not that I don't want to do the right thing...it's a cost/benefit analysis.