1996 hyundai accent 1.5 DOHC help

Stimmel1647545512

1996 hyundai accent gt 1.5 dohc has been making a ticking sound, well the girlfriend calls me and says it died while driving it. took the top timing cover off because everything else looked okay and the belt was missing about 3/4 of the teeth i could see about 30k miles ago i had done a timing belt water pump and the components.

questions.

Is this and interference engine?

If yes is it as good as junk?

Also what can cause this?

any help appriciated its her only car

thanks

Yes the hyundai is a interferance motor.

Sounds like something stopped turning, which made a pulley eat the teeth off of it.. Maybe tensioner?

Even though it is an interferance motor.. You can still sometimes save them.. I would pull the cover off, throw a new timing belt on it and see if it starts..

Yes the hyundai is a interferance motor.

Sounds like something stopped turning, which made a pulley eat the teeth off of it.. Maybe water pump / tensioner?

Even though it is an interferance motor.. You can still sometimes save them.. I would pull the cover off, throw a new timing belt on it and see if it starts..

Sounds about right to me. May want to turn the motor over slowly by hand. If it rotates back and forth you at least know the bottom end is loose. Don't turn to far or use a lot of force. You may bend a valve if you force it to far.

Sounds about right to me. May want to turn the motor over slowly by hand. If it rotates back and forth you at least know the bottom end is loose. Don't turn to far or use a lot of force. You may bend a valve if you force it to far.

Yeah that would be a good starting point too..

If you wanna see if you can save it just pull the head off and see what the valves look like, if its not too much trouble that is, besides, if the valves are hosed but the bottom end is okay, its cheaper to replace the heads than the engine, and if the whole thing is shot your not out anything but time.

New engine. If it sounds like that, the valves are most likely bent and the rods could be bent too whether you can see it or not. Once the chain/belt breaks on an interference engine, its usually done. I could potentially help but only have next two days off and need to get my Saturn on the road.

Ribs missing on the belt is basically the same as it completely breaking. It has jumped time, and it isn't good on interference engines. It most likely ate the teeth at the crank, and allowed the crank to rotate most likely contacting some valves. It sucks. I've dealt with with two engines that killed themselves due to timing recently.

I bet those engines are fairly cheap at junkyard. I seriously wouldn't bother tearing it apart knowing its an interference engine. You may be able to pass with head replacement and new belt (don't go cheap on a belt though), but it is possible to have bent the rod(s). Do you happen to have a garage and engine hoist to pull engine, if you go that route?