03 ranger trans filter/fluid?

DSM1290

I just brought a 03 ranger with 135,xxx miles on it and the trans. filter has never been changed. And he told me that his mechanic said if you are not having issues with it don't change it. This doesn't sound wise to me. Anyone else's thoughts?

He is partially true. If you drain the fluid and replace the filter some of the sediment holding the trans together might let go and fuck your shit up. One thing to do is NOT get a trans flush. (IMO).. those things are known to grenade trans.

I'd just leave it if I were you. If it were changed in like 50k or so intervals.. yeah change it. But that's my opinion.

He is partially true. If you drain the fluid and replace the filter some of the sediment holding the trans together might let go and fuck your shit up. One thing to do is NOT get a trans flush. (IMO).. those things are known to grenade trans.

I'd just leave it if I were you. If it were changed in like 50k or so intervals.. yeah change it. But that's my opinion.

X2. For transmissions are the worst for that. Sounds like no one ever changed it. And it will probably start slipping afterwards.

BUT, I've also serviced them after warning customers that it could happen and they run like a champ.