Firebird Clutch recommendations

blue98ls1

Ok, so my car is getting a bunch of new parts and a bunch of go fast parts tossed at it in the very near future. I am putting a turbo setup on the car. Going to run low boost for a year or two until the transmission and rear end get upgraded as well.

It currently has an LS7 clutch in it, which is incredibly soft compaired to the Stage 2 clutch in the Subaru. I have a hard time switching back and forth between cars. After driving the Subaru for a week I actually thought the clutch went out on the Firebird when I tried to push it down, it felt like it wasn't there. :lolguy: So I am looking for something that is going to be more firm, but not something that will be on/off. This car will eventually be setup as primarily a track car, but I still want to be able to drive it on on the street too.

Suggestions?

I guess you should put a Subaru clutch in it then. There is nothing wrong with an LS7 clutch, the 10 bolt will come apart first.

Oh I know the 10 bolt will shatter first....

The LS7 clutch may work well for you old men, but I need something a little more firm. I like them stiff. :gabe:

Oh I know the 10 bolt will shatter first....

The LS7 clutch may work well for you old men, but I need something a little more firm. I like them stiff. :gabe:

Okay smartass, let's put this in perspective, your Subaru has a much smaller flywheel and in turn a much smaller amount of surface area on the clutch then an LS1. So while the Subaru has to be stiff to have the same holding power, by the time an LS1 clutch has that type pedal feel the clutch will feel much more on and off because of the large amount of holding power. Sure you've got the muscle power in your left leg to control that? It's obvious from your track times you don't have it in your right. :lolguy:

Okay smartass, let's put this in perspective, your Subaru has a much smaller flywheel and in turn a much smaller amount of surface area on the clutch then an LS1. So while the Subaru has to be stiff to have the same holding power, by the time an LS1 clutch has that type pedal feel the clutch will feel much more on and off because of the large amount of holding power. Sure you've got the muscle power in your left leg to control that? It's obvious from your track times you don't have it in your right. :lolguy:

OOOOORRRRR the mechanical advantage is greater in the LS1 because of pedal ratio, master cylinder size or even the slave cylinder size since a LS7 clutch in a f-body feels different than it does in a LS7 vette. :)

OOOOORRRRR the mechanical advantage is greater in the LS1 because of pedal ratio, master cylinder size or even the slave cylinder size since a LS7 clutch in a f-body feels different than it does in a LS7 vette. :)

Whatever AJ, that wasn't my point, just because it feels different doesn't mean it isn't capable of doing its job. Besides depending on how different Vettes are driven, abused, or whatever, they all feel a little different.

Whatever AJ, that wasn't my point, just because it feels different doesn't mean it isn't capable of doing its job. Besides depending on how different Vettes are driven, abused, or whatever, they all feel a little different.

but you said "So while the Subaru has to be stiff to have the same holding power"

also please explain how they would feel different if all the vettes of the same model year and model* have the same clutch, master, slave and pedal ratio.

*the Z06, ZR1 and base model all have a different feel compared to each other but all Z06's have the same feel, all ZR1's have the same fee and all base models have the same feel.

but you said "So while the Subaru has to be stiff to have the same holding power"

also please explain how they would feel different if all the vettes of the same model year and model* have the same clutch, master, slave and pedal ratio.

*the Z06, ZR1 and base model all have a different feel compared to each other but all Z06's have the same feel, all ZR1's have the same fee and all base models have the same feel.

Since I've driven mostly base Vettes, I can tell a difference in pedal feel between cars. I'm not saying that its drastic, but a little different from car to car. Even the few 6 speed f-bodies I've spent some time driving feel different, Tina's car doesn't feel anything like Chad's Trans Am felt like stock or with the dual disk. Even cars with all the same parts will feel somewhat different.

im going with a dual disk clutch setup. seems the fastest cars run these and the softer plate actually give the trans a shot at holding. and the ram dual disck setup is like 680 and comes with a brand new flywheel. im also going turbo but shooting for 700s wheel and 9s but keeping it my daily driver. was going to do a spec 3+ but they have a stiff pressure plate and im shure like all single disc setups harder on the drivetrain.

LOL, my track times are only where they are because up until this point it has been my daily driver, and I never wanted to break it. Which is why I never put drag radials on it... but thats about to change. :D

I understand the differences. I just want the Firebird clutch to not be as huge of a difference. My car gets whored out on track days and the clutch has been in there since before we bought the car. Its probably got quite a bit of wear by now. I want something in between what it has now and an on/off clutch. And yes, I am sure I can handle it just fine. :masturboy:

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

Mjrsplat has I believe an act 2900 in his car, I drove it in rush hour and could hardly walk for the next two days, try like a 2100, not sure if they make that for your car, however its like 2100 lbs of holding force, maybe you can find something similar, pair that with a good disc and flywheel and you should be good to go, should be about the pedal feel your lookin for too.

LOL, my track times are only where they are because up until this point it has been my daily driver, and I never wanted to break it. Which is why I never put drag radials on it... but thats about to change. :D

I understand the differences. I just want the Firebird clutch to not be as huge of a difference. My car gets whored out on track days and the clutch has been in there since before we bought the car. Its probably got quite a bit of wear by now. I want something in between what it has now and an on/off clutch. And yes, I am sure I can handle it just fine. :masturboy:

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

Wow excuses and hope and dreams in the same response, you are totally awesome :thumbup: