Advice needed

crummer

1) IF you have time to acquire sights you REALLY need to think about whether or not you actually need to pull the trigger

How many misses does it take to screw in a lightbulb? As they say, you can't miss fast enough.

If you can point shoot something 20 feet away in the dark, good for you. If you aren't training with your pistol regularly enough like most people, good luck with that. Do this for me: Spend a few minutes shooting a 1911. Just a couple mags will do. Next pick up a glock, close your eyes and attempt to point it at an object 20 feet away. How'd that go?

You really can't argue against a tac light or night sights on a defensive handgun. If it helps you get more hits and you can afford it, why not? If you're having so many problems with contact shooting, perhaps you should employ a taser, blade, or some other weapon. Pistols are underpowered anyway.

20 feet in my house is in 1 location. A hallway. If I can't hit a human sized target in a hallway and 20 feet even blindfolded I haven't trained enough. Also, as I said before, that 20 foot gap closes in the time it takes to draw a gun. I'm not going commando GI Joe sweeping throuhg my house anyway.

I said I have a tac light. I said it's practical at times, most it's not though in day to day carry.

I'll find a way to shoot a human sized target at 20 feet blindfolded and you try to be chilling all nonchalant and have someone start at 20 feet and see how quickly they close the gap as you draw, raise your firearm, acquire the sight, and squeeze the trigger. I'll get rounds off at least. :)

Potato, tomato. We're all saying essentially the same thing. If you can afford them and it works for you go for it but don't expect a light/laser to make you Johnny Pistol Shooter Wyatt Earp. Practice with what works for you.

With all this talk against night sights not being useful for getting a sight picture how come not the same debate for a laser? Also who here has had an adrenaline dump in a situation where you had to pull out your carry weapon? I am not asking people with previous military field experience.

1) How quick did it take you to get your eyes on the target?

2) How bad were your arms shaking staying on target?

If it was me I would bet I would be tracing a nervous circle as big as my threat's chest. Why would a laser be bad if this happened?

With all this talk against night sights not being useful for getting a sight picture how come not the same debate for a laser? Also who here has had an adrenaline dump in a situation where you had to pull out your carry weapon? I am not asking people with previous military field experience.

1) How quick did it take you to get your eyes on the target?

2) How bad were your arms shaking staying on target?

If it was me I would bet I would be tracing a nervous circle as big as my threat's chest. Why would a laser be bad if this happened?

Everything you do takes time. The more time from the initial threat to stopping it is slim. I'm not talking from the time you draw or the time you raise your weapon to eye level. I'm talking from when the attacker begins his attack until you actually neutralize it. Try it. Have a friend start 7' behind you. Have him yell, clap, or give some audible signal. Try to turn, draw, acquire sights or turn on laser, get the pistol to where it needs to be, and squeeze the trigger (not with a loaded, live weapon obviously). If you aren't practicing exercizes like this you aren't practicing practically.

Attackers aren't going to hang from a line stright in front of you at a distance you determine while you acquire a sight picture or turn on a laser. Get out of the range and into practical practice. Just my opinion though. Take it for the ~.02 it's worth...if that. :)

Everything you do takes time. The more time from the initial threat to stopping it is slim. I'm not talking from the time you draw or the time you raise your weapon to eye level. I'm talking from when the attacker begins his attack until you actually neutralize it. Try it. Have a friend start 7' behind you. Have him yell, clap, or give some audible signal. Try to turn, draw, acquire sights or turn on laser, get the pistol to where it needs to be, and squeeze the trigger (not with a loaded, live weapon obviously). If you aren't practicing exercizes like this you aren't practicing practically.

Attackers aren't going to hang from a line stright in front of you at a distance you determine while you acquire a sight picture or turn on a laser. Get out of the range and into practical practice. Just my opinion though. Take it for the ~.02 it's worth...if that. :)

If you practice your safe zone of 30 feet in 360 degrees of your body this is less of an issue. And by that I mean over analyzing and remembering everyone around you at all times. If necessary moving away back to 30 feet of anything that you feel is negative. Once you practice enough at doing it consciously you will start doing this unconsciously.