1st rifle purchase is more difficult than researching car mods

Nicklz

I've been brought up around guns so nothing new, but I've never got into them as a hobby. But now everyone at work shoots, and it's infecting, so I want my own.

:fuckyeah:

So, I've be researching the AR15/M4 platform, and was down to figuring out which one I wanted. Then, today I and a couple co-workers went down to a gun smith/store. While on the clock haha yeah I got paid for a few hours to look at cool guns. Ahh so many choices, now I'm torn between the AR15 (probably knights sr15) or the SCAR.

Been reading up more on it all and I'm just like

:fuuuu:

Is there a question here haha? IMHO go with an AR15 for your first rifle of the type, if you love and enjoy it then you can some oddities like a SCAR, ACR, etc. AR15 has much more aftermarket so you can go in any direction you want with it.

I'm thinking about picking up my first AR15 as well. I'm thinking about a Knights Armament SR-15. My only real concern is proprietary parts. Not sure if I should even really be concerned with that, but was a comment I read when doing my research.

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr15.html

Vances has a Bushmaster with a matched barrel and some other stuff, but just seems a little pricey at $2300 for what your getting. I looked at it and just couldn't pull the trigger. I also like the Wilson Combat AR15 they had. The big issue with that one, was that it had been there for so long the finish on the side of the gun that touches the wall is all scratched up. May not be a big deal for some, but if I'm spending 2k on a new gun, I expect it to look the part.

I'd never pay $2,300 for a Bushmaster. If you want a nice quality MILSPEC rifle, go LMT. If you want really fancy, get the LMT MRP or Monolithic Rail Platform. I own the same rifle with the 2 stage trigger, and it's one of the smoothest and lightest triggers I've pulled. Not to mention, I can convert my MRP to 6.8 with a barrel/bolt swap. All my rifles are 1:7 twist minus one, mostly because I have a bunch of 62 grain M855 5.56mm laying around.

You guys talking about spending $2k on a first AR (or even rifle) has me laughing. And yeah, LOL about a $2300 bushmaster. Sure, it could be a bushmaster stripped lower built up right, and sure the scope could be half or more of that price. I'd want all the specs before spending that much though.

I'd highly recommend NOT buying a SCAR for a first rifle. You'd be better off spending half that on a quality AR (LMT, BCM, DD, etc.) and the rest on ammo and training... unless you want a safe-queen I suppose.

There are folks in this thread way more rifle knowledgeable than I, but I have been quite happy with my bushmaster M4gery. Paid about $900, and have sunk another $130 or so into it. Has been flawless so far, though only about 500 down the pipe.

You guys talking about spending $2k on a first AR (or even rifle) has me laughing. And yeah, LOL about a $2300 bushmaster. Sure, it could be a bushmaster stripped lower built up right, and sure the scope could be half or more of that price. I'd want all the specs before spending that much though.

I'd highly recommend NOT buying a SCAR for a first rifle. You'd be better off spending half that on a quality AR (LMT, BCM, DD, etc.) and the rest on ammo and training... unless you want a safe-queen I suppose.

What this guy said. Spending $2k+ on a first rifle is funny.

What this guy said. Spending $2k+ on a first rifle is funny.

Agreed. I have a great quality ar that I got as my first one. Look at budsgunshop.com... They are hard to beat, check out dpms oracle 580 I believe and it's tax free since it's shipping from ky. It is a flat top with no sights or optics tho. But that's an easy fix. There is no need to spend even 900+ on your first ar. Hell check armslist or gunlistings, sometimes u can find a decent priced used ar that u could learn the platform with and use it as your first one to build or do whatever to it.