Boost Ref FPR?? School me.

Diamonds

aeromotive 13109 is the most common and works great. jegs price is $144

Thats the one we used on most of the FD builds, and I had one on my mine.

How does it work?

where is the port normallly? on top?

I need to buy one tomorrow, I am going to go to jegs. Can anyone recommend on that is under 150 bucks?

The FPR uses the boost pressure to increase the fuel pressure in a 1:1 ratio, meaning that for every pound of boost you increase fuel fressure by 1 PSI.

The port comes out of the side in the form of a nipple:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/027/027-13109_7.jpg

I know it has a nipple... I think it only references vacuum... And/or does not have a rising rate. Read this product description...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PVD7MM/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

It says it's absolutely not a rising rate...

My guess is that some FPR'S have nipples for vacuum reference... But do not reference boost (kind of a luxury option if you will). Can anyone confirm this

Unless theres some sort of valve in there or the air just pisses out the top I don't see how it couldn't be a RRFPR. I'm using a summit brand aeromotive copy and it works fine @ 50 psi base pressure, holds fine up to 72 under full boost. fuel lab is another good product also

Are rising rate regulators only needed if you are running to small of injectors or higher boost or what? I have a similar FPR that senses vacuum but is not a rising rate. I am running a bigger pump and bigger injectors and my tuner never said anything. At what point or in what situation is a rising rate required?

a 1:1 boost reference only prevents the "effective" fuel pressure loss due to boost....in other words, if you run a static fuel pressure, each pound of boost "opposes" fuel pressure...trying to force fuel back into the injector. A true "rising rate" would be like a 2:1 that raises fuel pressure by 2 psi for every 1 psi of additional boost.

Some older cars are set up for 1:1 out of the box. Old-school guys would use a 2:1 (or higher) to bandaid a lack of tuning ability for higher levels of boost. A cool thing about any of these regulators is that they run a lower fuel pressure at idle than in boost, so you can run a smaller injector for a given boost level and still potentially have a nice idle.

Get on RC injector's website and do some calculations for your target HP to find the injector size you need....try different fuel pressures too. You can boost the fuel pressure up, yes, but properly sized injectors are the best bet...the fuel pump has a limit, after all. Keep in mind that other parts of the fuel system may become a restriction before the regulator/injectors do, depending on the vehicle.

Unless theres some sort of valve in there or the air just pisses out the top I don't see how it couldn't be a RRFPR. I'm using a summit brand aeromotive copy and it works fine @ 50 psi base pressure, holds fine up to 72 under full boost. fuel lab is another good product also

There must be.. .because my existing FPR has a nipple and it clearly states that it is not a rising rate unit...

The big question is… Are there FPR’s with barb VAC nipples that only reference vacuum, and others that reference both? Or should that barbed nipple work for both VAC/Boost on every FPR….?

IE - does a barbed nipple mean it references boost?

i have never seen a 2:1 boost ref FPR...

with my setup the main restrictor is going to be the turbo or the MAF. i am running a walbro 255, larger fuel filter, 550cc injectors, and big rail.... and at 8 psi and hitting 13.5 AFR... BUT, at idle its got about 45psi of fuel pressure. Today i will find out if the fuel PSI raises as i build boost when i connect the FP gauge in my car.

yeah, i think it's normally a 10:1 for those rising rates, i used 2:1 to make the math easier to explain.

Post the results of your test in here, the DSM guys have been conflicted about whether this thing does the boost referenced 1:1, as well.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/275686-megan-racing-fpr.html

^^^ CRAZY

on the product description it clearly states that it is not a rising rate FPR.

I BET, I BET, I BET, megan first introduced it 5 years ago as rising-rate... but after it didn't work... thye jsut (now) market it as non-rising.... hence why its in CAPS in their item description.

From the description....

Product Features:

- Polished

- Professional installation is highly recommended.

- Package comes with fuel line and vacuum line as well as adapters for most 2-Bolt applications. (May not fit your specific vehicle; however a machine shop can fabricate an adapter for your application.)- Universal Fitment with most Return-Type fuel systems.- Holds user-defined fuel pressure. (NOT A RISING-RATE REGULATOR)

what is the difference between a regulator, bypass regulator, and a bypass regulator with a jet?

basically, im looking at the quick fuel units....

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/search?query=boost+regulator

also, they all say "anodized top has a fitting for boost referenced applications"... does that mean that its set to go... or that i need other components to run a boost ref system?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/13109/10002/-1?parentProductId=750083

get the real deal if youre gonna spend $$ like that

yep, bought that one tonight.

to EF8SIRJunkie... I feel what you are saying. But i did discover that my FPR was not a rising rate unit... so that needed to be changed regardless.

That would be amazing. Would u be willing to come to my garage. It's just south of German village. Wow, that's generous of you.

What does the system tell us?

Also, i will be at the shop tonight, Thursday, and Saturday (maybe sunday ifthats the only day you could make it). Or really any other day you could make it.

Edited by Diamonds