gm manule transmissions

Shawn89

So I'm thinking about doing a 5 speed swap in my 86 monte carlo ss. I've done some looking and most people are using the T5 from f bodies. I've also read somewhere that the T5 doesn't handle higher hp very well (I've got a 355ci roller that should put down around 450ftlbs acording to John Lingenfelters engine building book)

So, I'm really just looking into what transmissions I can use even if it is a 4 speed(I just want good highway cruising of the 5 speed) that will take the power I have and will fit in my 86 MC SS as easy as the T5. I need to get on this pretty soon for my stock 200-4r isn't going to take much more punishment

So I'm thinking about doing a 5 speed swap in my 86 monte carlo ss. I've done some looking and most people are using the T5 from f bodies. I've also read somewhere that the T5 doesn't handle higher hp very well (I've got a 355ci roller that should put down around 450ftlbs according to John Lingenfelters engine building book)

Juts get a T5. I'd bet $1000 your whip would not make 45anything to the wheels. I am sure you'll be fine.

I didn't say I'm broke, all I said is I cant aford to drop 1k or more on just a transmission. Just because someone doesn't have the money to put all the best parts in there car doesn't meen they have no bussiness building a car. Not trying to start anything, or do I meen and direspect, I'm simply just saying.

Anywho, I'm trying to work out a deal on a t56(part trade on my camaro)

You can find a complete T56 from an LT1 car for 1k. Just save up until you can afford it. If you need a decent clutch for cheap, look into Zoom clutches. My brother has one in his '86 Camaro (heads/cam TPI 350) and it's holding up great.

I'd listen to these other guys and get a T56. It's good advice, don't waste money on a T5. As far as truck transmissions go, the NV3500 (came in the S10 and fullsize half ton) isn't any better than a T5. I think most of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had an NV4500 which was stronger, but I'm assuming that a T56 would be an easier swap.

I'd listen to these other guys and get a T56. It's good advice, don't waste money on a T5. As far as truck transmissions go, the NV3500 (came in the S10 and fullsize half ton) isn't any better than a T5. I think most of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had an NV4500 which was stronger, but I'm assuming that a T56 would be an easier swap.

I wouldn't put a NV4500 in something to go fast. They are durable in my experience, and will last 200k+ miles behind a 454 with a monkey driving the shit out of them, but massive, heavy, and not as good as a t56 for you.