Garage Door Problems

zeitgeist57

I have an OOOOOOLD Overhead Door opener, chain drive...pulling an insulated 2-car garage door that's equally as old but goes up and down just fine by hand.

When I hit the opening button, there is a solid clicking from some sort of relay, but nothing. I am assuming that it's a motor issue. Are there any good DIY garage door repair websites or resources? Ideally I'd like to order another motor and keep this old dinosaur going if I can. Thanks!

It's not the motor, it's probably either a capacitor, or a relay. Take the cover off and smell it, if it smells burnt inside, the capacitor should be a black cylinder about 3" long x 1 1/5-2" across they are about $15. If it doesn't smell find the relay, and spray a little bit of wd40 inside to lube the internals. Try this and get back to me with a model#.

I just went back out to the garage and the door opener light was on and it was buzzing really loudly, but no motion. I pressed the button again and it clicked off...

Hang on...I'll get the ladder and sniff-test this bish. Model number to come...

EDIT: The metal case was warm to the touch, and there was a quiet buzzing. Definitely a switch/relay going funky. Plus, the rubber V-belt from the electric motor to the chain gear was broken and jammed into a pulley...gonna need a new one of those too.

OVERHEAD DOOR

MOD: R 80Z

Edited by zeitgeist57

Wow, that's an old one. The way to fix it is to find a ratcheting relay that is the same type as yours. The bad news is they are pretty much impossible to find, unless you can find somewhere that still has one in stock. I know we don't have one because I just had to replace someones opener a couple of weeks ago, because I couldn't find one.