Kia Help

BoostedAce

I bought a 2001 Kia Sophia and I bought it as it sat with the shifter stuck in the park position. The car also has a no crank so start. The Brake switch works, but I do not hear the shifter lock click when I apply brake pressure and let off. I believe that switch could be my problem. Any info would be great thanks.

People spill sticky drinks on their consoles all the time. My guess is that the shift interlock solenoid is either dead or stuck. If you need to take it out of park then pry up the little cover next to the shifter in this picture and use a key manually release it. You'll be taking apart the console to repair or replace.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/2482000-2482999/2482469_21_full.jpg

When you say the brake switch works, you mean that it has brake lights correct?

Sounds like you need a wiring diagram of the starting circuit. Otherwise it is all speculation on how the system works....yes cars generally have the same idea, but they all execute it in different ways.

You need to see if the shift interlock gets power from the brake light switch and/or the ignition switch, which may explain your no-start if the ignition switch is messed up. Probably need to see if you are getting power on the reference wire at the starter from the ignition switch. Seeing as though the car should start regardless of whether or not the brake light switch is ok...unless the car thinks it is not in P/N for some reason. Wiring diagram needs to be obtained....

Just took the cover off and the whole inside of the shifter box is all broken, I also think the shifter cable is seized, this could be why it wont crank, the car can't see that its in park. I'm not even sure if the parts can be found that I would need.

Hit up a junk yard and get the assembly first and then see if the cable will work..

I think im going to end up doing this, if not I'll just end up scrapping it, I'm also worried about it being in one spot for 3 years and the first time I saw the car the E-brake was up.