Edumacate me on Car Audio

oh8sti

I want add base to my factory Bose system in my car. I have the factory navi as well. I want to be able to disconnect the box from the truck when i need to use the trunk space. I was thinking of 2 10's or 2 12's. I know NOTHING about car audio. Any help would be nice.

Basically, i want to add a box, 2 subs and an amp to my current GMC bose system and not have to change anything else.

whats a good system for the money, how can I do it for cheap? what brands are good (JL, MTX, Xplode?)?

Is your car pre-wired for an amp? That would be the first thing on the list. You, someone you know, or a car audio shop will need to run wiring from the car battery and the pre-outs (red and white plugs) from behind the head unit before you can do anything (ported vs unported) .

What kind of 'truck' is this going in? Sub boxes will vary between one that is in an enclosed trunk or in open air. To add some bass to open air, I would go with two 10's or one 12 in a custom built box (each sub will have different specs for the best box that will put out the best bass.

When you are looking at amps and subs, look for the 'RMS' rating, not just the peak power for amps and subs. One amp may have 500 peak power amps, but an RMS rating of only 100. The RMS is basically the 'usable' 'good' wattage for the amp or subs.

From there, match up your amp with your RMS rating on the sub(to keep from blowing it). Typically you don't want the RMS rating on the amp to exceed the RMS rating for the sub(this would equal a blown sub).

My old set-up I was running a Presicion Power Powerclass 650 amp. It was 6x50 (ran my mids, highs, and subs with this) watt amp and I bridged it for the two subs and was pushing 200 watts(about 150 RMS) per speaker on 2 JL Audio 12" subs in a custom built ported box to match the specs of the subs for some DEEP bass :D .

I am a fan of JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker Comp, Infinity......

Go here--> http://www.crutchfield.com/?evar16=Header:Logo they are very good with 'beginners' and there is a lot of good info here on building a car stereo....they also sell books and things to DIY.

Hope that helps....good luck!

You don't need to have two subs if you have a good amp. Let me know if you want to stop by and hear how my Jeep sounds with one 10 with 1000 watt class D amp.

It just depends how much BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS want.

While it is important to have a good quality amp, the box makes the speaker.

A buddy of mine had a kicker cvr 15 with a good amp running plenty of wattage stuffed into a generic sealed enclosure in a little honda, he had it metered at 132dB. I purchased a kicker cvr 10 and built a proper enclosure to use in my explorer, and ran it off a crunch 800w amp (crunch amps are built with hifonics components for those who didn't know) at any rate my 10" sub metered at 131.7dB playing the same exact song as my buddy with the 15" I later upgraded to a cvr 15 in a proper enclosure and metered at 146dB on a larger amp.

my advice for the OP is don't go for most of the brand name stuff they sell at best buy. JL, Alpine, and Kicker I've had good results with personally, but they are all overpriced IMO. I've had good luck with MA audio, Audiopipe (only their higher end stuff), Hifonics, or if you want to get into the expensive stuff there's always MMATS, Digital Designs, Memphis audio, RE Audio, Fi, etc. Regardless of what brand you buy, stay away from entry level speakers, most of the entry level stuff is junk. If you'd like further advice, feel free to pm me.

You don't need to have two subs if you have a good amp. Let me know if you want to stop by and hear how my Jeep sounds with one 10 with 1000 watt class D amp.

It just depends how much BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS want.

I would like that :masturboy:

i was bass, but nothing crazy. I listen to a lot of screwed/chopped rap.

Its a 2010 GMC denali. If i read correctly i can use the stock head unit, i just need some converter wires or some shit.

Most modern day head units will have the pre-outs built in.....I'm assuming that a Denali will. You can probably google the answer or someone here can tell you.

Pre-outs are the red/white on the right side of the pic....this is looking at the back of a head unit

http://car-radio.bestproductsreview.net/wp-content/Alpine%20CDA-9887R%202.jpg

Hardest part is not hooking up the wires, it's getting it run all the way to the back and hidden at the same time. Also getting the power line from the battery, through the firewall, and to the back of the vehicle. Some can do it easily, some struggle with it........

4 or 8 gauge amp kit

JL audio subwoofer and amp

Done

I used JL 10w3s with a big fosgate amp and always had clear, hard hits.

You can get the wiring online easily and the amp kits are easy to install usually.

I have a JL audio amp 250 /1 and one Jl audio stealthbox with a 10W3v3-2 sub. These two with the factory bose speakers and a Pioneer head unit. It is a simple nothing to fancy system that put out some good sound. The sub box enclosure is important.