Last 3 Autocrosses w/SCCA for 2011 10/15, 10/22, 10/29 @ NTR

craig71188

I know it's late notice on this Saturday's event - registration is still open till 6pm tonight (and 6pm the Thursday before each event) at MotorsportReg.com. Additional details on each event are there as well. Please note - we will "open the gates" one hour later - 8 am instead of 7 am due to it being darker langer in the morning - the event starts at the same time, but if you want to "walk up" and register Saturday morning (limited to 30 entrants) - you may not want to sit at the gate right at 7.

The courses will be fast and previously tested and approved by most competitors - I am doing a "greatest hits" of past events for the next three events in preparation for possibly having a "permanent" course at NTR that we can run a couple of times each year. If we get approval to mark this course there it will allow for ongoing testing of set car set ups and unofficial records. Based on feedback we will select one of these courses to be used.

This weekends event is the "Stanberry Cup" - named for Lynn Stanberry who last her fight with breast cancer. All proceeds from the event, bake sale, special challenge event (TBA) will go to cancer research.

Typically, the events at NTR are not as well attended as OSU making for many runs - and on a larger lot, faster flowing courses. Come on out and have a little fun before winter!!!

Edited by craig71188
Forgot late gate opening time!

how many carts do you usually get to come out? is it competitive? easy to learn?

There are 4 signed up now, including two juniors.....and that doesn't include AJ or Andy....so looks like 6 for tomorrow. Yes, they are competitive, they look like a BLAST to drive, but I can't speak to the 'easy to learn' part.

id like to get into it. sounds more fun than dumping thousands into a car that will inevitably will be slower.

Craig knows more than any man should know about karts, ask him how to get started......he may even have one to sell to you???

id like to get into it. sounds more fun than dumping thousands into a car that will inevitably will be slower.

I grew up kart racing, its not nearly as cheap as you might think. Especially if you want to go beyond autocrossing. It's not any cheaper then a car.

I grew up kart racing, its not nearly as cheap as you might think. Especially if you want to go beyond autocrossing. It's not any cheaper then a car.

id probably start w autox. maybe go to circleville. what is the bulk of the cost? i mean how 'spensive can a 5hp briggs be to keep running?

id probably start w autox. maybe go to circleville. what is the bulk of the cost? i mean how 'spensive can a 5hp briggs be to keep running?

Well tires for one thing aren't cheap, you want to run a Briggs you'll be bored in a hurry. These guys are running 125 shifter Karts. Just think of it as a car without shocks and springs.

Well tires for one thing aren't cheap, you want to run a Briggs you'll be bored in a hurry. These guys are running 125 shifter Karts. Just think of it as a car without shocks and springs.

Don't forget aero :gabe:

http://www.f1karts.co.uk/images/gbox250/f12502002side%20500.jpg

125cc karts for a well prepped set up with a chassis a couple years old should run between $2,000-$3,000.

In pieces needing assembly somewhere around $1000-$1500

These are karts that regularly run Mid-Ohio @120mph++

-OR- you can run the slower karts that I have no knowledge of the costs.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z39/crossle_sean/n616650927_2940089_6294748.jpg

New shifter karts (if you're going to autocross this is the only way to go) will cost upwards of $10K. Now for reality - I have two Italkart Supersonic chassis with ICC motors. I don't have more than $3K in either kart with some spares. If you shop CL - you can find a good used shifter for under $2K - it will need some work, but it would be a good start.

Circleville is fun - $15 and sign the waiver and play as long as you like. There is not currently a 125 Shifter class actively running there last I heard - the popular thing there is 80cc shifters.

Maintenance isn't too bad to autocross - tiree $200 a set, good for a full season +. I've run one motor for 3 seasons running locally and it's probably lost a bit - but it's fine for regional events. You'll have some cost in clutch maintenance and top end rebuilds, but it's still WAY cheaper than a car - and you get to go faster

Learning the shifters takes a while - even after racing a lot to stuff over the years it semed like everything happens sooo fast - but after a season (or some good practice time at Circeleville) it starts to come together. They really are a challenge to autocross due to the amount of shifting to keep them in the powerband - it seems you never get a perfect run. Stop out one of the next three Saturdays and I'll gladly give you a "tour" of the kart and discuss it more.