Anyone ever set up a Toys For Tots type event?

DaddyBuiltRacing

I am a pretty charitable guy and especially soft when it comes to kids and christmas. So I thought why not organize a local Toys For Tots Cruise, I have contacted the Salvation Army so step 1 has been done (charity we're going to donate to). I am in the process of contacting Toys R Us to make sure we can use their lot (Step 2), now here's where I am sort of confused. Do you have to be a legit orginization in order to do one of these? Basically this event is being put on by me and about 40-60 other car people. We do not have an orginization or a website, were just a group of car guys that want to help some kids out this Christmas.

If you have ever set one of these type of events up, what steps/procedures did you take in order to make it successful?

Each year one of us always sets up a christmas toy drive for cr members. Nothing major, someone just collects toys from others or cash and in turn toys are bought. Then when its time to drop off whoever wants to roll with meets up and goes. Without advertising an actual drop off site which all the tv stations do as well as firestations (toys r us does their own in-store for their charity of choice) your going to be at the mercy of whomever sees you or word of mouth. One of the years I took up the challenge we were actually able to donate several thousand bucks in toys which I felt was an extremely good turnout.

Well I have it set up and you're right word does travel fast lol. It started out as just a group of us here in Newark that are all into cars and hang out, to now everyone is wanting to donate money/toys. Toys R Us lets the local bikers use the lot for their event in November so I don't see why they wouldnt allow us to meet there for an hour, especially since most toys will be bought from with in the store and we're not asking them to donate anything. I'd be pumped if we could come up with a couple thousand dollars worth of toys, thats a ton of toys if you spend the money right lol.