The real difference between Slip On and Full?

FocusDave01

One of my buddies and I were discussing the difference between the too. Someone at Ironpony stated that a PC3 and Slip On would be the best thing since the factory headers and what not are pretty good from the factory. Is this true? So on the dyno a bike with full exhaust and a bike with slip on (both with power commanders) there would not be that much difference?:dunno:

One of my buddies and I were discussing the difference between the too. Someone at Ironpony stated that a PC3 and Slip On would be the best thing since the factory headers and what not are pretty good from the factory. Is this true? So on the dyno a bike with full exhaust and a bike with slip on (both with power commanders) there would not be that much difference?:dunno:

I heard the same thing from a mechanic at Hinds. I'm guessing the only difference in headers (aftermarket vs. oem) is weight? OEM's might be heavier.

yeah i was informed my 06 r6 has one you can see it right before the sstock muffler thats what my plan was is to jsut get a full exhaust but before i did since people said its not worth the money so i wanted to throw my options around nowa days its all about saving $$$

yeah i was informed my 06 r6 has one you can see it right before the sstock muffler thats what my plan was is to jsut get a full exhaust but before i did since people said its not worth the money so i wanted to throw my options around nowa days its all about saving $$$

PM Sent with some helpful info

I would disagree. Alot of stock headers have a catalytic convertor in them. Removing this will cut down on weight and also improve power. Prime example is the new gixxer and the R6's.

you would disagree...and you'd be wrong. :D

On my R1 the cat converter is not included with the headers; it's a totally different piece. when i did the exhaust on it, I bought two slip ons and a cat replacement...which is a straight Y pipe for the R1. Slow R6's might have the cat inside the headers...you'd be the expert on that :)

Bolt-ons and slip-ons allow generally less-restricted airflow and tend to free up a small amount of horsepower, usually at the very top end of the powerband / over-rev range. It won't be a major gain in horsepower. What it will do is make the engine appear to be "breathing" better.

A full exhaust system is able to alter the exhaust gas flow entirely, and therefore alter the powerband more directly. By greatly changing the exhaust flow, in order to actually achieve those potential power gains, the intake has to also be set up properly.

I think this is going to vary from bike to bike. I can tell you on my monster the stock headers were smaller in diameter than the full system (except right where the pipe goes into the manifold. There is also big udder where there is supposed to be a cat that is eliminated. So on a Ducati S2R 1000 there is a big dif between the slip ons and the full system. Not to mention the full system as loud as hell. The full system, combined with an open air box and a rapid bike module gained 10hp at the wheel from 78hp to 88. That is a pretty good gain in my opinion.

I think this is going to vary from bike to bike. I can tell you on my monster the stock headers were smaller in diameter than the full system (except right where the pipe goes into the manifold. There is also big udder where there is supposed to be a cat that is eliminated. So on a Ducati S2R 1000 there is a big dif between the slip ons and the full system. Not to mention the full system as loud as hell. The full system, combined with an open air box and a rapid bike module gained 10hp at the wheel from 78hp to 88. That is a pretty good gain in my opinion.

So...if the hole is the same size...how is air flow increased? think of a funnel...if I have a super small funnel and oil is flowing thru this...it doesnt matter what the hell is after the smallest part on the funnel.

So...if the hole is the same size...how is air flow increased? think of a funnel...if I have a super small funnel and oil is flowing thru this...it doesnt matter what the hell is after the smallest part on the funnel.

Do you think it matters how fast or slow it tapers to the smallest part of the funnel?

you would disagree...and you'd be wrong. :D

On my R1 the cat converter is not included with the headers; it's a totally different piece. when i did the exhaust on it, I bought two slip ons and a cat replacement...which is a straight Y pipe for the R1. Slow R6's might have the cat inside the headers...you'd be the expert on that :)

Go outside and look at your bike in the garage and you will know I am right ;) just stay away from touching that thing with any tools:D

now im not an expert at all on motorcycle engines but how do you make sure you dont lose or have to much back pressure on a bike engine? doesnt there still have to be some restriction?

Yes there still has to be back pressure. The only way you are really going to lose it is by running open pipes. Losing back pressure affects you HP, torque and can cause valve damage over time

and one more question lol sorry totaly new to bike mods, but i was also told getting the intake changed does nothing as well.. is there a way to change the intake or just change filters, ive heard of redoing the intake and what not but its not a night and day diff...