Gun season

99crb600

Just got back from day 2 of our yearly sighting in party at deer creek. I got mine done in 3 shots yesterday. small adjustments since i changed brands and type of sabot's from last season. Of my other 2 friends, one was sighting in a new holographic red dot which took some time. the other friends gun was horribly off. at 50 ft he was like 6" low and 2" left! and whats funny is he shot and killed a deer last year with the gun like that, but only at a 30ft distance.

all 3 of us are running mossburg 500's with various scope/rectical set ups shooting the hornady sst sabot's

while we were there we were sighting in a 22 rifle(owned by the same guy that had the crazy out of wack scope)....and found out that the elevation and windage knobs were mixed up. while trying to come 2" right we shot the same windage just 2" higher. It was crazy...never seen anything like that.

anyways i wont be able to get out until thurs and friday and then extended gun season. We've going to have about 6 tree stand perimeter set up along with over watching a pinch point. Its going to get a slaughter fest. We got some family land in Hillsboro we hunted on since years past.

On friday, while bow hunting, a spike buck and 3 doe were seen out there. All out of range for a bow, but they would have been in for gun(60yrds with some small branch obstructions through the lane).

Went out sat morning to scout, i must have passed 11 deer on my drive to mt vernon at 5am. They seem to be moving early as fuck this year. I think ill stick to evening hunting for now. We have 2 deer down this season already, both shot at dusk. Got all the guns sighted in within 2-4 shots. I will be going out fri/sat, be safe guys!

have one, need to get the scope mounted. How do you like hunting with it?

Also, what scope do you have?

It's definitely a disadvantage to try to hunt with a pistol, as they are inherently less accurate to shoot due to stability issues. I use a shooting stick to try to get some stabilization. I also run open sights. The main reason I've tried using a pistol the past few years (my .44mag this year and last, and my .460 the year before) is because it's waaaaay easier to lug around and, I've yet to kill a deer with a pistol. I gave up carrying my .460 because of all the ancillary gear you had to take with it. 1. it's fucking huge. 2. You HAD to used a shooting stick with it because of the length and weight. 3. You HAD to bring hearing protection along with you if you wanted any chance of preserving your hearing. Carrying all that was a PITA, so I switched to my .44, which is much easier to carry, and you don't have to use shooting sticks. My handloads still kick like a mule, though. :dumb:

It's definitely a disadvantage to try to hunt with a pistol, as they are inherently less accurate to shoot due to stability issues. I use a shooting stick to try to get some stabilization. I also run open sights. The main reason I've tried using a pistol the past few years (my .44mag this year and last, and my .460 the year before) is because it's waaaaay easier to lug around and, I've yet to kill a deer with a pistol. I gave up carrying my .460 because of all the ancillary gear you had to take with it. 1. it's fucking huge. 2. You HAD to used a shooting stick with it because of the length and weight. 3. You HAD to bring hearing protection along with you if you wanted any chance of preserving your hearing. Carrying all that was a PITA, so I switched to my .44, which is much easier to carry, and you don't have to use shooting sticks. My handloads still kick like a mule, though. :dumb:

:fuckyeah:

I went out this morning got in the stand at 6:15 sat till 11:30 without seeing anything I never really heard much shooting on the neighboring property either so I took a lunch break came back in at 1:00 and sat till dark I seen 3 does and 1 small buck so I was satisfied considering the conditions for the day now to see what the rest of the week holds

Let's say I shoot a buck on my grandparents land, field dress it and everything. Do I need to tag it and check it in? Also know any good places to take the deer to for butchering?

Every deer taken in Ohio needs tagged and chcked in either with a reg tag, landowner tag or accident tag. Grandparents do not qualify for landowner.

Take it to perfects in Johnstown

i use a single action super black hawk 240 grain jacked hollow point. My own Reloads hunts just fine but i still like my wingmaster running 3" sabots. Tuesday sucked though missed a nice sized buck cuz i almost feel out of the damn stand cuz i was soaked.hunting friday and sat though and prolly muzzleloader also..

I could go out today but my 2 buddies were out

first off we've seen some big boys off in the distance a few days ago, but no shot. looking like this

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/snowdoc83/imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

But today(an hour ago) my buddy Gombas took this guy

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/snowdoc83/imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

looks like taht time at the range paid off( he was the one with the retardedly off gun that took 2 days to sight in)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/snowdoc83/IMAG0256.jpg