Technical basis to ford 5.0/4.6 v8 sound?

hpfiend

Why does the mustang sound like an angry dog under water, in a cave, or just plain different?

A 3" stroke v8 chevy 283 does not sound the same-

Have heard an LT1 camaro with flowmaster mufflers and while it sort of resonated similarly it def did not sound like a mustang.

Is it the two-piece intake manifold? Doesn't the 4.6 have a plastic one piece? I think my dad's explorer does- does a carb 5.0 not have that sound?

Someone told me it was the firing order but later I heard that the LS1 has the same firing order?

My c5z has an h-pipe and true duals...not mustang like at all-

Are the ford and chevy cylinder heads that different? I have heard 4 valve aluminum, 2v, 3v, twisted wedge big valve, and stock e7s and they all sound similar enough...

That's all I know- looking for more input.

the 4.6/5.4 sound nothing like a5.0 with LTs and a good exhaust. Hell even a fox sounds different between shorties and LTS

I dunno about sounding nothing alike you must have better ears than me- one of my good friends in highschool had a 97 cobra and it sounded very similar to my 90 coupe even after I put headers/supercharger/h/c/i etc... my dad's 4.6 explorer on throttle sounds a lot liek a mustang and I have heard several new edge 99 plus mustangs that sound like a mustang- even the 03 cobras do if you can hear over the blower whine...never heard a 5.4 that I recall...

I dunno about sounding nothing alike you must have better ears than me- one of my good friends in highschool had a 97 cobra and it sounded very similar to my 90 coupe even after I put headers/supercharger/h/c/i etc... my dad's 4.6 explorer on throttle sounds a lot liek a mustang and I have heard several new edge 99 plus mustangs that sound like a mustang- even the 03 cobras do if you can hear over the blower whine...never heard a 5.4 that I recall...

My Lightning sounded like a freakin jet

just because the firing order is the same number wise doesn't mean its the same cylinders firing.

see what i mean?

SBF vs. SBC

http://image.hotrod.com/f/incoming/9646497+w200/113_0701_03_z+lunati_4_7_swap_cam_test+firing_order.jpg

just because the firing order is the same number wise doesn't mean its the same cylinders firing.

see what i mean?

SBF vs. SBC

http://image.hotrod.com/f/incoming/9646497+w200/113_0701_03_z+lunati_4_7_swap_cam_test+firing_order.jpg

You make a very good point but I think the firing orders are the same- the numbering is different but the same cylinders are firing- ford is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and if you transpose that pattern to the chevy numbering you get 2-6-5-4-3-1-8-7 which is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 which is the published firing order of the LS1-

is that right? someone check me...

Edited by hpfiend

Skip to 1:40

wow- you are right- if they had a 3" stroke I bet they would sound even closer- now I need to look at that firing order and stroke length... thanks!

here is an ls1 with flowmaster 40s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KKaJs4YBU- but its also not true duals like those challengers and the mustang... wonder if there is an ls1 vette with flowmasters... or a trual dual converted camaro- actually aj your 69 camaro with flowmasters should sound similar?

c5 with flowmaster 80s- not close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZyahKRtP0

but Listen to this gto with flowmaster 40s

after looking at the exhaust designs of the mustang, gto, and challenger they have an h- or x-pipe with intermediate mufflers with "long" tailpipes or pipes to resonators or exhaust tips..the corvette and camaro have very short tailpipes... hmm I need to find my videos of dumped flowmasters...

not mine but the mustang sound is diminished... I do remember liking mine better with tailpipes on but they wouldn't fit with the slicks and they were a hassle to take on and off... Edited by hpfiend

ok modern hemi has the same firing order and numbering of the old chevy

1-8-4-3-6-7-2 and a stroke of 3.5

so that means the firing order has very little to do with it and it is more a result of a mid mounted chambered muffler with a crossover pipe and long tailpipes on a true dual setup. quick rpm rise is the nature of a 3" stroke??

Anyone still following?