B5 S4 - Wheel Bearing

SilverAudiMike

Fronts bolt in, at least mine does, which is the early 2000 model (Aluminum uprights). I haven't done the fronts, but I wouldn't be afraid to do them (I've replaced axles like there's no tomorrow, and also did the control arms myself so I had a lot of time to stare at them). The rears...I had someone else deal with those. You just need some triple squares if I remember correctly.

Ahhh, wheel bearings in a B5 Audi!

I did both mine years ago, they needed to be pressed out, and it is semi a pain in the rear. You have to press the hub out of the knuckle, then the bearing off the hub, press the bearing back on the hub, then back into the knuckle...With a hub tamer kit and good pneumatics it is not so bad, I didn't have that when I did mine and pressing them is a pain.

If you would like I am certain we can get you a pretty good CR member price to have the bearing replaced at our shop, and I can get you a solid price on a OE SKF bearing.

Give us a call

740-657-3278 or email bwright@ipsmotorsports.net

From what I understand many of the mid-model year changes weren’t always a hard date or VIN. When you get near the cutoff on both sides, there can sometimes be a car which doesn’t follow the rule. Your car is early enough that I would say it’s very likely an aluminum knuckle car.

Bu it’s really easy to check. Crank the wheel and you can easily see the knuckle. You should be able to tell just by the way the metal looks, but try to stick a magnet to it to make sure. Aluminum is not ferrous therefore a magnet will not stick to it, but will stick to a steel knuckle.

Could save you some heart ache of ordering the wrong one.